Author Topic: Can anybody help me with my Transcendental Meditation issue??  (Read 2510 times)

rbj

Hi everyone.  I'd be very grateful if anybody could help me with this query.

I've been meditating off and on for about fifteen years.  Up until a few weeks ago my technique would be to blank my mind and focus on my breath as it came in and out of my nose.

Three weeks ago I did a Transcendental Meditation course.  I got given my mantra and have been doing TM twice daily ever since.

My sessions usually go the same way.  I'll start off repeating the mantra and after a few minutes it will start to change in my head.  That's fine, I don't resist it, I just go along with it.  It sometimes becomes totally unrecognisable from what it started off as.  As this happens I notice my breathing becoming shallower to the point that it almost stops completely.  This is all good and is what I'm told is supposed to happen when you're doing it right.

The problem comes when the mantra then disappears and silence takes over.  I then have no thoughts in my head....apart from the sound of my breath.  This is the problem, my attention shifts to my breath and I can't stop focusing on it.  Maybe this is a hang-over from all those years of doing breath-focus meditation. 

When this happens I then start repeating the mantra in my head again from scratch and within a short while the same things happen.  I get into that state but then just focus on my breath.

So my questions are these.  Is this a problem?  Shall I just go along with the breath focus and see where it takes me?  Is it a problem to get to the point that the mantra disappears and then you start it up again?

I asked my TM teacher about this and he said that when the focus shifts to my breath I should just gently re-introduce my mantra and put my focus back onto that. 

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: Can anybody help me with my Transcendental Meditation issue??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
Nobody here does TM. Maybe you would be wiser asking your teacher or finding aTM discussion forum?
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

bomega

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
It sounds like your teacher said it isn't a problem. I have done TM in the past and that happened to me, but it was more that I lost it in distraction. Like your teacher said, I was instructed in just coming back to it when I realized. It seemed fine.

But since you are still concerned, perhaps you should take it up again with your teacher.

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:50:21 AM »
I second Matthew.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

longboarder108

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
The problem comes when the mantra then disappears and silence takes over.  I then have no thoughts in my head....apart from the sound of my breath.  This is the problem, my attention shifts to my breath and I can't stop focusing on it.  Maybe this is a hang-over from all those years of doing breath-focus meditation.

When this happens I then start repeating the mantra in my head again from scratch and within a short while the same things happen.  I get into that state but then just focus on my breath.
So my questions are these.  Is this a problem?  Shall I just go along with the breath focus and see where it takes me?  Is it a problem to get to the point that the mantra disappears and then you start it up again?

I asked my TM teacher about this and he said that when the focus shifts to my breath I should just gently re-introduce my mantra and put my focus back onto that.   

Just as your TM teacher explained, whenever you may realize that you are no longer repeating the mantra, easily reintroduce it from whatever state of quietness you might be in. 

And as others here have advised, never hesitate to ask your teacher (or any certified TM teacher anywhere) for clarification and/or a personal checking session.

And enjoy it all!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
Guys, this is not a TM forum - and it isn't going to become one. I can see that longboarder108 registered today to answer this question - so please accept my apologies for this action yet for the sanity of this forum and the sanity of TM practitioners I am deleting both of your accounts.

Good luck with your paths. This forum is for Vipassana and associated practices, not Transcendental Meditation a ® "Registered Trademark" meditation technique. We are strictly non-commercial.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~