Author Topic: Awareness...the key?  (Read 1127 times)

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
Awareness...the key?
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »
I have a question I would like to pose to the forum. I was wondering, why is it that being aware of thoughts and feelings without discriminating or judging them eases the effect they have on us?  There is something called acceptance based therapy that generally speaks of how accepting the thoughts and feelings can eliminate them but is that the same as simply being aware of them?  Can both be considered the same with different mood behind the intention of meditation? 

Does anyone have any information on the biology of awareness and the process that a thought goes through in the mind from start (creation) to finish (death)? 
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Awareness...the key?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:43:22 AM »
I don't know about the second question but to tackle the first the alternatives to "being aware of thoughts and feelings without discriminating or judging them"  as I see it are...

Not being aware of thoughts and feelings.
Being aware of thoughts and feelings and discriminating/judging them.

The former leads to thoughts and feelings spiralling out of control and before you know it you are reacting to things without being aware of how your buttons are being pressed and what lead to your reaction.

The latter leads to taking thoughts and feelings too seriously, finding significance in something that is merely changing background noise and believing that they are real.

Both lead to identification with the thoughts and feelings, identifying with them as I,me,mine.

According to wikipaedia "acceptance based therapy" is based on mindfulness.

MeditativeWriter

• To Live is to Die
    • Krishnamurti
    • To Live is to Die
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
would agree that the matter of awareness is quite serious. I would wonder whether meditation has nothing to do with techniques, guides, methods and poses.. I doubt whether a purpose, a goal can ever allow you see "what is" which is actually the core of meditation..

... probably we first need to see what meditation is..

as for the matter of awareness.. a passive, non verbal, non judgemental awareness of the movement of thoughts, seems to have the potential to dissolve them. If the slightest effort, ambition, hope intervenes i think that this destroys this authentic awareness

dhammagirl

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
My mental health/happiness improved tremendously when I realized/experienced the difference between experiencing thoughts and feelings and being swept up in them, and stepping back, out of the eye of the storm, to actually just be aware of them.  I used to try to push them away, which made them more powerful, but by just objectively observing them, and maybe noting/labeling them, I am not controlled by them, and they pass away.  eg;  hey ego, I see you!  Oh, remembering.  Hey, imagining.  Then I automatically come back into the present moment.  I do this noting/labeling outside of sitting meditation. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:31:21 PM by dhammagirl »