Author Topic: Dealing with feelings arising  (Read 2423 times)

vikingbuddha

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Dealing with feelings arising
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
I have now meditated for a few months. 
To my surprise has things such as anger and jealousy
Improved.  But i still struggle with sadness and anxiety. 
Any words of advice?

Re: Dealing with feelings arising
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
The negativity for some like anger , jealously , pride are easily subdued but others like fear , lust etc are very deep rooted n takes time ... Just keep practicing

vikingbuddha

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:59:20 PM »
Ok!
And the practice is meditation and letting go?
I was surprised to see that the anger started to
Dissolve but not the dear and sadness.
Anyway i think its very positive to see improvement

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Don't focus so much on not feeling anxiety and sadness but fully appreciate and experience them for what they are. As you meditate you may come to discover what that is by simply observing them as they are, in the present, without judging yourself for feeling them. That's the most important part. Please try not to judge yourself for having sadness and anxiety or even anger; they all are a part of the human experience. 

Most people consider the advice of veteran meditators to not consider or discriminate whether something is good or bad but the advice not to judge implies to not judge yourself for judging not necessarily changing your moral standpoint.  Some things will always be considered bad and other good and for good reason.  But also, we shouldn't judge others for their actions and feelings either. 

I hope this has been useful to some degree!
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »
Hello vb,

I have now meditated for a few months. 
To my surprise has things such as anger and jealousy
Improved.  But i still struggle with sadness and anxiety. 
Any words of advice?

Keep up the practice. It is already showing results. Sadness and anxiety can be deeply wired into the functioning of your neurology and often relate to unresolved conflicts: you may not even be aware of these consciously, however, Sati (Pali/Sanskrit) meaning mindfulness is also synonymous with remembering. So, if this is the case, in time and with a calm relaxed awareness as the base of your practice, your mind will release these things when you have prepared the ground.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

vikingbuddha

• Vipassana
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
I have felt that things that used to bother me doesnt bother me any more. And then I mean things that used to bother me for many years are dissolving, so that is really progress:)
And I think the meditation and the realisation to not crave good feelings and avert bad feelings has alot to do with the progress.
And many of these things are related to anger, jealousy or stress. But as I said now I discover that other areas as sadness or fear has not progressed at the same pace.
But I  understand, keep doing the same things:)
And I cant help but looking at things in a bigger perspective. I feel that things I dont like, or dont appreciate, keeps happening. As if they happen for a reason. And when I realise this and start to accept that they happen , which I understand as not labeling as bad and accepting.
They dont happen anymore or they do happen but doesnt bother me in the same way and therefore they are not a problem anymore.
And this I feel is also progress.
So my conclution is that I should proceed to look at my fear and sadness the same way. Accept it! And not label it as something bad. And then it will be easier to let go of these feelings.
Thank you very much for your support!