Author Topic: What I felt  (Read 1466 times)

jenjaminbackson

• Write something about yourself here
    • Thai Forest / Tibetan
What I felt
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
Following on from my previous post "Am I Safe" regarding letting go in meditation. I would like a little feedback on my experience sitting today.

I was tidying the house today and felt very heavy in the head. I could sense I was shutting off my emotions. I sat on the cushion and let go. I felt a lot of rushing and tingling and what could be visualized as colors racing round my body. I was going with the motions and found myself veering off from side to side coming back again and around like a drunk pendulum. I felt the sensation of my throat opening up like I wanted to make a sound, throw up or eject something.

Afterwards I stood up and felt really spent of energy. I went to my bed and lay on my back. Again so much was happening, twitches, fuzzing at one point I felt like someone had their hand around my head. I was most certainly feeling. I began to nod off and kind of dream I turned on my side and lay with eyes closed. When I opened I felt relaxed.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this experience? it is alien to me. I want to feel like this is a normal healthy process but a lot of it was quite extreme.

Thank you very much.

salamander

• primarily anapanasati
Re: What I felt
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
This sounds to me that you are getting healthy jenjaminbackson.
Note: There is no problem with being not healthy.

Trust your body. I am convinced that your body is doing all these things all on its own to make you healthy. It has its own inner wisdom and acted accordingly.

There are people who meditate and then end up in the most disfigured postures. This disfigured posture helps to break lose energy which has accumulated there (there was some blockage) and the change of the body position or body motions help to break this blockage. It sounds to me like that you have experienced this.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:57:29 PM by salamander »

jenjaminbackson

• Thai Forest / Tibetan
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
Thank you. The feedback from this forum is very encouraging. I don't have access to a teacher nearby for guidance so thank you again.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
Hello again jenjamin,

Can anyone give me some feedback on this experience? it is alien to me. I want to feel like this is a normal healthy process but a lot of it was quite extreme.

Thank you very much.

This is normal. Suppressed memories are often stored in the body - they come back and the body may writhe, go into the position when the memory was formed etc, etc. I have been through very similar experiences personally. Babette Rothschild wrote a famous book called "What the mind forgets the body remembers" - it's a bit scholarly so may not be of practical guidance.

I would suggest you stay relaxed and trust the process you are going through.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
I agree with Salamander and Matthew