Author Topic: Kundalini? Third Eye? Please help  (Read 1607 times)

Xälos Prömythos

• Write something about yourself here
    • I don't know
Kundalini? Third Eye? Please help
« on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
Hello

I've searched the internet but haven't found any good info on this:

Recently I have practised Vipassana, and have done it very well, often reaching the gap, or state of thoughtlessness. However, one day I felt a pressure on my forehead - what people call the Third Eye -, and I learned that I can focus on it and make it more intense. It is a good sensation. I obviously don't forget about my breathing, though. My breathing and focusing on my forehead act together.

So...what is this? Is it the Third Eye? Does the Buddha mention that? Is it dangerous? Should I stop?

Thank you for reading :)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Kundalini? Third Eye? Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »
Xalos, I suggest you don't mix techniques. Not sure which tradition of Vipassana you are following, but if you want to practice Vipassana seriously, then do only that and do it properly, the way the technique wants you to work. If you are curious about Kundalini, "Third Eye" etc then learn Kundalini Yoga or other methods which will help you with that, and if you find that helpful, stick to it.
However, one day I felt a pressure on my forehead - what people call the Third Eye -, and I learned that I can focus on it and make it more intense. It is a good sensation.
Who told you to keep focusing on the sensation? Did you consult your Vipassana teacher/guide? Why do you want to make it more intense? Is your aim in your Vipassana practice to focus on good/pleasant sensations only? I think the direction you have taken here is not wholesome or helpful. I would suggest to please stop and consult a meditation teacher/guide first.

Does the Buddha mention that?
No, the Enlightened One does not give any importance to such things.

Is it dangerous? Should I stop?
It could be dangerous and you may want to stop it, then consult someone first. But before that, decide for yourself which path you want to stick to.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: Kundalini? Third Eye? Please help
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
Once I had kundalini-like experiences during a retreat. My teacher taught me how not to focus on those. It is comparable to the instruction of Goenka to move on, scanning the body, and not stay for long in one place.
My first teacher was pleased to see kundalini-like things happen, but he never called it so - he just asked more about what happened, and had me stick to the technique. He did allow me to modify the technique as I needed, after I had explained what happened.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:45:54 PM by Quardamon »