Author Topic: Pulsating in forehead  (Read 2884 times)

mctopher

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Pulsating in forehead
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »
About two weeks ago I finished a Goenke 10 day vipassana retreat.
On the 7th day I began to have an uncomfortable throbbing feeling in my head. I focused on the point for a minute and it became worse. Till the end of the course I had constant throbbing in my head and a headache. Particularly noticable when I would lie down or meditate.

In the last 2 weeks it has subsided slightly and now is more of a pulsating but still unpleasant. It still is more profound when meditating or with my eyes closed.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Pacific Flow

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka Vipassana
Re: Pulsating in forehead
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
I had a very unpleasant sensation manifesting on a 10 day retreat before too. As far as i understand, there are two possibilities.

1. It could be a medical issue, totally unrelated to your meditation practice. Seems unlikely, but if you suspect that could be the case, you might wanna get it checked up.

2. It might be a physical manifestation of a rough layer of tension you hit while meditating during the retreat. This was what happened in my case.
If you are able to get rid of this layer during the course, the related sensation will disappear. If it doesn't, you probably didn't have enough time to get rid of the related tension entirely during the course.
However as you are back home in everyday life, and awareness is gradually becoming less sharp again, the sensation is likely to disappear soon. From my experience it is likely to show up again on your next retreat, when you will work on that block of tension again. Possibly it will show up earlier then, and you will have enough time to release yourself of this layer of tension completely within 10 days.

In the meantime, try to see the sensation as what it probably is, a manifestation of mental tension. Those kind of rough sensations can trigger very harsh reactions. Here is your chance to change the conditioning of your mind. Observe the sensation with equanimity.
It is just another sensation like any other and like any other, it is impermanent. Don't give it too much importance during your meditations sessions. Stay there for a few moments on each round, maybe even a minute.
If the sensation becomes so strong that it is difficult to bear it anymore, which of course i hope sincerely is not the case, you can move your attention to the palms of your hands or the sole of your feet for a few minutes.

Best wishes
Marco

Marc

Re: Pulsating in forehead
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »
Or it can be that when scanning the body you do it with your eyes and you forced the muscles too much. Thats what happened to me