Author Topic: Death  (Read 3662 times)

alpha_wolf

• Write something about yourself here
    • not decided
Death
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Hii all,

I don't know whether it is the fact that I am more aware of time, because of regular meditation.  I always have been conscious of the fact that we are all mortal, but it seems these days I am always in fear of dying too soon without contributing or living to my potential.

Do you have similar sensations?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Death
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »
I'm very conscious of my mortality and ultimate insignificance. I guess I don't want to die, but I don't really worry about leaving some sort of legacy or lasting positive impact, because really I have little control over the outcome of things.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »

The Marvellous Omannobazong say:

"I am very aware of my immortality and ultimate significance!"

I say:

"I am aware of my mortality and my immortality as well as of my significance and my insignificance."

Let us transcend polarity.
anicca

alpha_wolf

• not decided
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
Why do you think "you have little control over the outcome of anything?" Can you give an example?

Yes, there is always some amount of luck involved inany endeavor, but we as individual do control out destiny to a large extant.

I tend to think that whether you want it or not, you are contributing something immortal. It's through the relationships you build, the stuff that you create, that makes you immortal. In the very long time period, everything is forgotten. I tend to think of time as a eraser which erases away all blotches or marks made on paper (events in life). How long it takes for time to erase away the mark you made on the paper (life) depends on the amount of ink you used or the size of the blotch, but it happens one way or the other.

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »
DT is saying that he has no control over the outcome of things (his actions). At least that is how I understood his statement.

Why do you think "you have little control over the outcome of anything?" Can you give an example?

Yes, there is always some amount of luck involved inany endeavor, but we as individual do control out destiny to a large extant.

Can you give one example where you have control of the outcome? You may at best "try" to influence the outcome but you cannot control it.

I tend to think that whether you want it or not, you are contributing something immortal. It's through the relationships you build, the stuff that you create, that makes you immortal. In the very long time period, everything is forgotten. I tend to think of time as a eraser which erases away all blotches or marks made on paper (events in life). How long it takes for time to erase away the mark you made on the paper (life) depends on the amount of ink you used or the size of the blotch, but it happens one way or the other.

I agree with you that we all are contributing to something that is immortal. It is called butterfly effect. Simple flap of the butterfly wings could set in motion of a massive hurricane. We are contributing to the change in the universe by just breathing, walking, talking etc., because it is a close-contained system and will be affected by even very insignificant action of ours. But we cannot control how the universe will change because there are infinite number of other "actions/factors" contributing to that change.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
every night we enter sleep we kind of die....

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:41:35 AM »
In a grand sense most of the things we worry about, we have little control over the outcome. Be it global warming, whether you get hit by a bus, poverty in the 3rd world, etc etc. That doesn't mean you shouldnt care, or do good deeds, but you also shouldn't be worried about whether your life's efforts meant anything of significance.

sailor

• Shambhala
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »
every night we enter sleep we kind of die....

We never worry about all the time before we were born. We did not exist then either. I've gone through phases of having bad anxieties about death. Nwo I'm worried about going to soon, but I know I will go. Love goes on. I think it's natural to have these feelings.

alpha_wolf

• not decided
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:29:35 AM »
Thanks all for responding.

Can you give one example where you have control of the outcome? You may at best "try" to influence the outcome but you cannot control it.

I agree, we dont have complete control of the outcome. What I meant was that if we look at the outcomes, our actions probably determine 80% of the outcome, 20% is due to random things/things out of your control.

For example, I recently lost 23 lbs in 12 weeks, at 2lbs/week which is actually the fastest you should loose weight, and most people cant do that. This was not something that suddenly happened. This was based on meticulous planning, long term dedication to the goal. My actions determined the outcome. Yes, there were roadblocks, for example I got sick(cold) in the middle of those 12 weeks, as a result I had to stop my weightloss program. I couldnt have known that before I started. However, it was my actions which mostly determined the outcome (weightloss).

alpha_wolf

• not decided
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:35:58 AM »
In a grand sense most of the things we worry about, we have little control over the outcome. Be it global warming, whether you get hit by a bus, poverty in the 3rd world, etc etc. That doesn't mean you shouldnt care, or do good deeds, but you also shouldn't be worried about whether your life's efforts meant anything of significance.

I apologize, maybe I am not understanding something here. Why dont you think you have control over global warming, poverty in the 3rd world etc?

Yes, those are hard problems. Also these problems are not binary, its not like there is no global warming or there is global warming. Poverty is not binary either.

If you are really interested in solving global warming, you can do policy research, convince people that global warming is really an issue, cause changes in policy that would reduce carbon emissions, which would then reduce global warming. Is this a easy problem? No. Will it be possible to solve it in a year? No. But you can make a dent in it.

If you are interested in solving poverty do the above again, with some modifications.

There is luck involved in all of these, but luck doesnt determine the outcome.

Marc

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »

I apologize, maybe I am not understanding something here. Why dont you think you have control over global warming, poverty in the 3rd world etc?

Yes, those are hard problems. Also these problems are not binary, its not like there is no global warming or there is global warming. Poverty is not binary either.

If you are really interested in solving global warming, you can do policy research, convince people that global warming is really an issue, cause changes in policy that would reduce carbon emissions, which would then reduce global warming. Is this a easy problem? No. Will it be possible to solve it in a year? No. But you can make a dent in it.

If you are interested in solving poverty do the above again, with some modifications.

There is luck involved in all of these, but luck doesnt determine the outcome.

I agree 100% with this. So many things can be done.

I understand that it is better not to be attached to a certain outcome, because once we have done what can be done that's it. But thinking that we don't have impact in these important issues is going to lead us to immobilism.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:56:18 AM by Marc »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
For the same reason I don't believe I have control over my own life. I can't even control myself, so thinking you have control over so many externalities to arrive at a desired, lasting outcome isn't something I'm prepared to cling to at all. If anything, I think putting yourself at a centre of a solution is rather counter-productive.

I'm not advocating nihilism (or immobilism), you can still do good without feeling the need to control or own the issue.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »
control is always only partial. a surfer controls his movements, but not the movement of the waves.
anicca