Author Topic: How to deal with throat irritation and coughing all sorts of things up?  (Read 1501 times)

salamander

• Write something about yourself here
    • primarily anapanasati
Hi :)

This is the first time ever I meditated, when being sick I believe.

I'm sitting straight and try to watch my breath and I feel that my throat is a bit irritated. It's like the throat wants to force me to cough but sometimes the threshold to cough is not met so there is no coughing. Then there is the cough itself. If I cough I feel my chest and it seems that I also feel energies in the chest wildy running accross the chest. And sometimes I need to expel the mucus from coughing up in my beloved spit-bucket. I'm also getting a bit hot when I cough.

I noticed that because all of that it's very difficult to get relaxed or concentrated. And I think I have a problem with that because if not then I would not tell you that.

Just as an aside: My mind also asks itself whether it is appropriate to talk about these things here. I wonder why I do think this. I think it's because I think that mucus is nasty and well: You don't talk about nasty things right? Isn't t hat what I was being told or was being conveyed when I was a child? Probably.

Luscious

Re: How to deal with throat irritation and coughing all sorts of things up?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
Maybe it's not the best time for you to learn meditation. Maybe resting and getting better first is a good idea. Maybe while you are lying down resting you can try some but I would avoid pushing yourself too much. If you are not well and your body is trying to excrete mucus then you will not be able to stay still for long. You could practice being present and aware of how you feel and compassionately allowing whatever is happening to just be there.

Max

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Salamander, what is your attitude towards the situation you described? It seems to me that on some level you are not ok with it. That you believe this should not happen or that you cannot meditate if this happens.

If this is the case (and only you can tell), then the point re. relaxation and concentration can be explained: if "unseen" aversion is in the mind, you will not get either relaxation or concentration.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »
If you are unwell, and especially feverish, your mind will not be as present for mediation as usual. Maybe it's even better just to stay in bed.

I think it's because I think that mucus is nasty and well: You don't talk about nasty things right? Isn't t hat what I was being told or was being conveyed when I was a child? Probably.

Yup, that sounds like childhood programing. The Buddha taught to examine these things, including imagining your own corpse rotting after death ... bit of a different approach:accepting reality.

M

~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~