Author Topic: After 3 weeks of regular meditation alot of anger and sadness are surfacing!  (Read 4340 times)

vikingbuddha

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
I have recentky started to take meditation more seriously after thinking about doing this for years.
After meditating I sometimes get intense anger/rage outbursts in my mind or I can feel really sad for the rest of the day. Does this mean I should not meditate so regular?
I now sit for 1 hour per day.

I also know I have alot of worry and stress in my life asweel as anger issues.
Should I do any specific meditation techniques or just continue to meditate and to follow my breathing and things will start getting better without me doing anything more than just continue to meditate?
Thank you very much for your advice:)

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Can you describe the technique you are practising please.

If you already know you have anger issues then these are bound to come up during meditation.  This is your opportunity to let go of it by observing it without reactivity, without compounding it, if you can learn to do that gradually it will dissipate.

vikingbuddha

• Vipassana
I just follow My breathhing.
But i am thinking IF i should do compassion meditation Also?

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
Metta practice is essential for all practioners. Especially the angry ones! ;)
Regards,
Tobin

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
I just follow My breathhing.
But i am thinking IF i should do compassion meditation Also?

Worth a try.

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
Wow, 1 hour is a long stretch to sit for a beginner. I would say the priorities should be in the order of consistency, quality, then only quantity. I mostly only can sit for 10 minutes before I get out of it. I might then lie down for 5 minutes, or take a sip of coffee. Then I sit again. And again. The whole thing takes 30 minutes to an hour, but I cannot concentrate for much longer than 15 minutes at a stretch.

Of course the meditation continues even after getting up.

vikingbuddha

• Vipassana
I sit 2x30 mins. Maybe to long, i really dont know? When i have Done vipassana retreats you meditated maybe 5 hours a dag and that was för beginners asweel.
Anyway i feel fine doing My 2x30 min and i guess thats most important.

Thank you for the Metta advice. i Will start with this rigt away

If you feel sad then that's a fact... Don't run from it.... Accept it n learn to be with it... Then see the sadness getting dissipated and you r left with joy..

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
2 x 30 minutes is not too long - it's a good starting point.

Keeping up the meditation will start to lessen the hold of sadness and anger on you. It's also important to slow down and breathe when you are not on the cushion: stepping into the meditation space during the day, and at times when stress and anger arise, so they have less sway on your mind.

You're doing well vikingbuddha. Keep it up.

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

vikingbuddha

• Vipassana
The good thing is that the anger is becoming more Clear. The hard part is that i realise that deep inside me i dont want to forgive.  But i know that forgiveness is the only way forward. 
So i will try harder with Metta.
Thanks for the support Matthew

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
You can't force forgiveness. Metta can help attune you to a compassionate open attitude, awareness of the fullness of the anger, why you don't want to forgive ... all can help. It's also letting things ripen in time.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

kcarneglia

• Passionate about spirituality, yoga, meditation
    • Transcendental
Hi there,
I have been meditating on and off for a few years, and also read a good deal about meditation as well. I would say that the feelings you're having are relatively normal (though I haven't directly experienced them myself when meditating), as sometimes old experiences that made you feel that way come up. This can be your mind and body's way of "releasing" old emotions caused by something or several somethings traumatic in your past, and it may be that you haven't dealt with these feelings until now (out of no fault of your own). We tend to repress things that are painful and/or unnecessary for our survival, and so it could be the trauma you talked about in the past is "coming back up" so to speak. I would advise possibly seeking therapeutic help if you feel the emotions are overwhelming or you cannot deal with them. Otherwise, reflecting on how you feel about them without judging them when they come up can be a good way to be mindful of what triggers your feelings. I hope this helps, and please feel free to message me privately or via the forum if you wish to speak further  :)
Personal info removed. Read forum rules.- Moderator.