Author Topic: AWOL making "Survivors Voices Radio"  (Read 3617 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
AWOL making "Survivors Voices Radio"
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
I went AWOL (absent without leave) from the forum for a couple of weeks. I was very occupied:

During that time I started a new radio show which is broadcast locally on FM and streamed live on the local Community Arts radio station weekly: http://soundartradio.org.uk/ Wednesday evenings from 6-7pm UK time, except the last Wednesday in the month.

The show is called "Survivors Voices: Speaking Truth to Power". It gives voice to survivors of childhood sexual abuse - which is a big issue in the UK at the moment. I am a survivor of such abuse and the consequences are much misunderstood. This project has a great deal of meaning for me: facilitating other survivors in speaking their truth to power.

The first show went well and is at number 4 in the community radio chart on Mixcloud. Guests were Leah McGrath Goodman, Business Editor of Newsweek Magazine, investigative journalist and author and Jean-Paul Bedard, a Canadian Survivor of abuse.

Leah spoke of the corruption in Jersey and how she was the only journalist banned from the UK in over a decade - because she was investigating corruption in Jersey and despite her good standing. Jean-Paul discussed the abuse he suffered and how abuse affects people and the recovery process. He has run over 100 marathons and this year will run the Toronto Marathon 3 times in one day to raise money for the #BeenRapedNeverReported campaign.

Approximately one in four people suffer some kind of sexual abuse in childhood. When you get on a city bus next time or a train take a look around you and consider that: one in four of the people around you violated as children. The consequences for individuals and society as a whole are immense.

You can catch up with the show, if you have any interest in this subject, on Mixcloud:

Survivors Voices, Speaking Truth To Power. by Survivors_Voices on Mixcloud

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:52:12 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: AWOL making "Survivors Voices Radio"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Good work Matthew. This is a very difficult subject to approach and tackle. It is disturbing how many prominent people have come to light in recent years for the abuse they inflicted upon those who looked up to them. Hopefully as this is a more visible subject we find instances of child abuse decline as people become less likely to protect or obscure abusers.

I'm not sure if you'd ever heard of this, but a Pacific Island was also rocked by a child sex abuse scandal in recent years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 01:29:11 AM »
Hi DT,

Thank you for your encouraging words. The taboo about discussing abuse was broken 20 years ago, the wall of denial remains to be broken down however. We are many and we are going to smash this wall down. The consequences will be of great significance and far greater than the issue of childhood abuse alone.

The Pitcairn case is not as high profile as it should be. Many people abused, a whole society corrupted: it is a microcosm of what is happening worldwide. In 2001 the UN estimated the "value" of trafficked children at $25Bn a year. A monetary value place on broken lives and murdered and abused infants and children. It is a well oiled machine, global and a part of the key control mechanisms used by the elite for thousands of years.

Goodman, in the interview, agreed with me that the British establishment is teetering on the brink of collapse over this. The more they try and bury it the deeper the hole they dig for themselves. It is time for those who knew but did not take part to choose which side they are on, and quickly. Those who choose to let the truth out will be doing the world a favour and saving their skins.

This is about renewal of the social contract, the end of violence being the basis of how our societies work.

It is time.

Matthew

PS if anyone reading this wants to see a better world in your lifetime subscribe to the show and like the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SurvivorsVoicesRadio
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:38:06 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »
Approximately one in four people suffer some kind of sexual abuse in childhood.
The situation is far worse here in India, compounded mainly by the facts that, 1) vast majority of the victims are reluctant to admit that they are hurt from abuse and do not seek help, 2) lack of proper and professional help that is needed for the victims and, 3) there is no law specifically aimed to help child sex abuse victims as well as to convict and punish the abusers. However, I hear that steps are being taken to change the situation.

By the way, great work, Matthew. I believe this will definitely make a positive impact in the lives of many.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

bomega

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
f you'd ever heard of this, but a Pacific Island was also rocked by a child sex abuse scandal in recent years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004
I had no idea. Back in '06 I used to work with a lady who was from there. I was so silly...I had a romantic idea of Pitcairn Island (as seafaring survivors or something stupid). I wonder if/how she was affected

Matthew: You mentioned in your audio that you blogged about this issues. Do you still? Would you link it here if you do?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »
Hi bomega,

I blogged quite consistently from 2004 - 2010 then sort of stopped except for the occasional post. It was not all about these issues. I stick to the forum rule about not linking to blogs but if you google my handle on here you'll find it :) ... some of the times I was going through a really hard period so I make no claim that the work therein is of great quality.

Vivek - thanks for your positive feedback. Yes it is already making an impact - many people listened to the show and have been touched by it. India is indeed a society that likes to hide from it's dark side, yet most societies are the same. Interestingly rates of abuse and the consequences are fairlu consistent across the planet.

Best to all,

Matthew

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:41:33 AM »
Matthew, not sure if you are aware of this, but just posting: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32812449

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Hi Vivek,

Thank you for the link. It has been big news over here as people are connecting to the scale of the problem, realising it is not a few crazies claiming things were messed up and covered up, but that the police are making a serious attempt to investigate - though often thwarted by the authorities.

Your earlier comments about the problem being worse in India ring entirely true with me. Life in India, for many, is cheap. Also, Westerners tour countries in the East for sex tourism - including with children - on top of the national issues.

Last week on the show I interviewed Don Hale OBE, an investigative journalist and award-winning author, who blew the lid on a lot of the Westminster perceived wisdom about these issues. If anyone is interested below is the interview.

Warmest regards,

Matthew

Ep 12 Don Hale on Child Abuse, Cover-ups, Police Investigations, Special Branch and More. by Survivors_Voices on Mixcloud

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Glad to hear about such massive undertakings by law enforcement in the UK. Hope something similar happens here in India also.