Author Topic: How does one learn to observe their own thoughts?  (Read 3057 times)

PeasantProphet

• Write something about yourself here
    • Beginner
How does one learn to observe their own thoughts?
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:50:04 AM »
I get the general definition some what. Let me ask again how do you become the observer of your own thoughts? Does anyone have any examples?
And what about being the observer of your own pain? What is that about?

And if you are not your thoughts, what about positive thoughts or intention? Just trying to clear things up, thanks

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: How does one learn to observe their own thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
This is quite a tricky thing to enunciate as it is experiential. Generally a person has thoughts, lives in those thoughts, identifies with those thoughts as being them. Through your practice you will see the thoughts arise of their own volition, and rather than engage with them emotionally you see them for what they are, involuntary machinations of the mind.

Maybe as an example, no doubt at some point you have caught yourself daydreaming and snapped yourself into reality. Or maybe when you drive your car somewhere, you arrive, but you can't really recall the journey because you were away with the fairies. It's basically that, but across the width and breadth of your thinking.

In regards to your comment about positive thoughts, we tend to be fault finding a lot of the time, singling out what's bad amoung a sea of beauty. If you attune your mind from not scrutinising everything, finding fault, placing too much of yourself in your surrounds, you should naturally gravitate towards a disposition which is peaceful, relaxed, free from stress.

I hope this is of some benefit for you.

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
I have the feeling one needs to be a stream enterer before he detaches himself from his thoughts. Until that point, one is one's thoughts.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:17 AM »
I don't agree. I still have an egoic identity but I can also identify my thoughts are not me. It's just not consistent.

salamander

• primarily anapanasati
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
Quote from: Darmic Tui
This is quite a tricky thing to enunciate as it is experiential. Generally a person has thoughts, lives in those thoughts, identifies with those thoughts as being them. Through your practice you will see the thoughts arise of their own volition, and rather than engage with them emotionally you see them for what they are, involuntary machinations of the mind.

And yet I know some guy who says of himself that meditation would give him more and more control of his mind  as his practice goes on. He says that this is benefecial because, well, in essence you can train yourself then to have no negative or self-destructing thoughts anymore because you can for example transform them into positive thoughts. He said this because I had self-destructive thoughts back then.

I'm wondering what do you think about this mind-control-thing?

Just A Simple Guy

• Bubba Hotep
    • Curiosity and Exploration
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »
Seems to me negative thoughts are only self-destructive if/when we empower them with belief and then act/react on the basis of that belief. Without belief it's simply a thought and I wouldn't think there's any reason or need to suppress or transform it.

Suppressing or transforming seems to me to be the ego exerting its prerogative.
“Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” ~ Bruce Lee

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
And yet I know some guy who says of himself that meditation would give him more and more control of his mind  as his practice goes on. He says that this is benefecial because, well, in essence you can train yourself then to have no negative or self-destructing thoughts anymore because you can for example transform them into positive thoughts. He said this because I had self-destructive thoughts back then.

I'm wondering what do you think about this mind-control-thing?
Just A Simple Guy has hit the nail on the head. You aren't trying to control your mind. "Disempower" might be a more apt word.

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
When I am aware/meditative I can see the germs of thoughts forming in my mind. They float around a few seconds then disappear.

There was once a certain stretch of time (weeks) when I was particularly meditative (throughout most of the day) and I can see thoughts related to sex appear. They are small and feeble. They come, I see them, then they disappear. They have a life span of maybe 10 seconds. When I'm in this meditative state it is impossible to be sexually aroused. It is also impossible to be angry. Germs of anger appear, I see them all small and feeble, then they fade away. For them to fade away, no action is necessary. All you do is not embrace them, not become them. Just by seeing them for what they are and not embracing them, they dissipate without a trace.

The problem is that I'm not always this meditative. When I'm not, these thoughts come, they grow, and they bloody hijack my mind. Without even my noticing it. It is only after the fact that I realised I was hijacked by these thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:58:09 PM by Jeremy »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »
The problem is that I'm not always this meditative. When I'm not, these thoughts come, they grow, and they bloody hijack my mind. Without even my noticing it. It is only after the fact that I realised I was hijacked by these thoughts.

Practice is called practice for a reason. These things get better with more practice.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~