Author Topic: Shambhala Buddhism  (Read 5713 times)

Flipasso

Shambhala Buddhism
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
...is a tibetan buddhist school of thought that originated in the 70's (during Flower Power).
I think it's a good ilustration of my ideals.
It's a school for lay people.
The main figure in Shambhala Buddhism, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche is maried I think and leads a "lay" life.
It basically tells people to embrace life with responsability, equanimity, and energy and to work every day for a better world...
I think "creating an enlightened society" is kind of their moto...
Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, it's creator, called it Buddhism for the west...
Try to get a hold of more info on this, and comment...

enlightenment@society.now

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Shambhala Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
Flipasso

I lived in a Shambhala Buddhist centre for eighteen months and have been a Shambhala Buddhist for nine years until this year. This year I formally left the organisation because of severe fault-lines in both the organisation and practice.

For the basic meditation techniques their teachings are excellent. Beyond that it is a messy and egotistic world of stuffed suits, hangover-hippies, alcoholics, career Budddhists and, many many wonderful people - who are unfortunately mired in the shit created by the organisation.

I'll go into more detail if you wish.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:50 AM »
I think you'd better with that intro  :o  lol!

I guess it may fall under the lines of how so many religious organizations have gone astray, but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.  Especially with you having so much time invested with them.

The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »
hmmm... about the egotistic part I saw a video of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche talking about Shambhala buddhism and got the impression that he's ego got a bit inflated with the whole leadership issue... but maybe that was just my impression!  ;)
Sure I'd like to hear about some of the lows of buddhism...   :) It's always healthy to know about the pro's and con's of anything before you buy it!!

Jack

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »
I wonder if Shambhalas are as compassionate as some of the posts here?  ;)  Sorry folks, one of the things that I get from Buddhism is encouragement to accept and use the concepts that work for me and reject the rest, without attachment or aversion.  Doesn't always work, though.

Seriously, while I don't know much about Shambhala, I have found some aspects rather interesting, such as Miksang photography.  I understand Miksang to be taking pictures without ascribing a value to them.  As an avid amateur photographer and a novice Buddhist practitioner, Miksang really calls to me.

In Peace,
Jack

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »
Jack

I would not put anyone off joining Shambhala contemplative arts programs or learning basic Shamatha/Vipassana from them. Having studied a little Kyudo (the way of the bow) - with Shambhala - under Shibata Sensei, Bowmaker to the Emporer of Japan, Kado (the way of the flowers) - with Shambhala - under Marcia Shibata Sensei, his former wife, and Caligraphy - with Shambhala - under Zen master Kobun Chino Roshi, deceased, I can say they are some of the best offerings Shambhala has.

I do advise about becoming attached to and identifying with the organisation and it's "higher practices".

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jack

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
I do advise about becoming attached to and identifying with the organisation and it's "higher practices".

Matthew, for me, those kinds of "best offerings" are some of the joys that are to be found with a new awareness that Vipassana brings.  And, as with all joys, they can become hindrances when we become attached to them.  I am quite fortunate in that my small community has a very active Sangha, which is truly a gem to be treasured.  Admittedly, were it no longer here, I would be quite sad.  Is that an attachment?  Is it bad to be attached to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha?

Just saying...

In Peace,
Jack

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
Is it bad to be attached to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha?

If you are not going to examine those aspects in meditation then the straight answer is yes.

Shambhala does not represent Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

onslaught

• Write something about yourself here
    • Mindfulness
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
Hi,

I am searching for a completely secular way of practicing meditation. i have started out with mindfulness meditation (Jon Kabbat-Zinn). There is a Shambhala centre in Vienna and I was wandering if someone could explain to me if this could be a practice for me.

@Matthew: maybe you could tell me what you liked, what you think is good and what is not so good.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi onslaught,

The post three up from yours describes the key things: They are very good at vipassana-shamatha practices but I wouldn't get into any path deeper with them. If you want more specifics please ask. Also it depends on the centre - I have never visited the Vienna centre.

Kindly,

Matthew

onslaught

• Mindfulness
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:02:58 PM »
Hi Matthew,

thanks for your reply. I have read the other post. But yes, if you can and want to I would really like to know what you think is not so good in a little more detail.

David

sailor

• Shambhala
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
My community I don't often get to go to group meditation. Is a Shambhala group it's the closest meditation group to me. I've looked into some other communities and there are issues there that I've read about.

I find at this time my Shambhala community meets my needs. I imagine any religious group has it's issues we are all people that suffer with our issues. I don't know if there is a perfect community out there.

Taking time to form relationships and easing into organizations can be wise.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
Hi David,

Please accept my apologies for the long delay in replying. I saw your request for clarification soon after you posted it and needed to reflect somewhat.

I'm going to repeat things I've said before yet with an additional proviso.

Firstly for basic mediation Shambhala are good. The deeper into the organisation you go the stranger things get. It is based on Tibetan Buddhism which itself deviates a long way from the teachings of the Buddha, especially in incorporating aspects of Bon, the pre-Buddhist animist religion of the Tibetan plateau. Like all forms of Tibetan Buddhism it is guru-based. At some point if you follow the path with them you will give yourself over to the guru. Actually you give yourself over to the guru's minions because in a Sangha of tens of thousands there isn't enough time for the guru to get to everyone meaningfully. Some of these minions are a bit messed up in my experience.

For these reasons I thoroughly recommend their basic mediation sessions yet suggest treading cautiously before joining the treadwheel of their path, which is also very expensive.

The new proviso:it's a long time since I had an active connection with the Sangha. Things change.

Hope that helps,

Matthew