Author Topic: Need help getting started  (Read 3482 times)

WilhelmVivas

• Write something about yourself here
    • Buddhist
Need help getting started
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm relatively new to this forum. I've been meditating for about 2 months now, trying to learn as much as possible through visiting websites and searching through old topic on this forum.

There's too much reading out there on the internet (it usually ends up being a website about Goenka and wanting me to pay for his courses/retreats), and I don't know how to start. I need some reading which will give me a solid  introduction into the basics of vipassana meditation. Even if it's a book to order online.

To give you an idea of where I'm at: I've learned proper posture, watching the breath and being aware. That's all I do when I meditate. Sit, breathe and be aware. Nothing else.

While I'm at it, I also had a question. Sometimes when I meditate, about 15-20 minutes in (my guess) I get a tingly feeling in my head and suddenly it's like my body is asleep but I'm still aware. At this point it becomes more difficult to keep my mind from wandering. If I keep going, eventually I go even 'deeper', and then 'deeper'. At this point everything around me feels slowed down, sounds are muffled, my body is extremely relaxed, and my thoughts make less sense. What is this? And should I avoid this?

Just A Simple Guy

• Bubba Hotep
    • Curiosity and Exploration
Re: Need help getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
I'd suggest going to this link.

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php  and read the 2nd post in titled 'Shamatha/Calm abiding instructions and notes.'.

I think I have a similar experience during practice, though I'd describe it as my body feels more numb and vibrating at a high frequency.

Sounds can be funny. They seem much more clear and sometimes a close but quiet and higher pitch sound (like the clicking in the baseboard heating when the furnace kicks in) gives me a sudden chill or tingle, they're not a distraction at all. They just enter and then leave awareness. I also note a high frequency background harmonic that has to be neuronal?

Thoughts seem to be more like proto-thoughts. I can sense them beginning to rise and get a general sense of their substance but they quickly subside, again not being a distraction.

I don't think you should avoid anything. Just note it and return to attending breath or whatever object you're attending.
“Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” ~ Bruce Lee

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
I like Ajahn Brahms' book "The Art of Disappearing". I found it very helpful. In fact, it was while I was watching my breath the way a passenger of a car in the rear sit would watch the driver (a method Brahm describes, I think on his twitter account) that the most revelatory experience happened to me -- I suddenly knew that everything is one. Life was not quite the same after that. Curiously I've not been able to re-attain that experience, but then once is enough. I think that was the stream entry for me.

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »

To give you an idea of where I'm at: I've learned proper posture, watching the breath and being aware. That's all I do when I meditate. Sit, breathe and be aware. Nothing else.

Try: Sit, feel the spine aligning itself so that it's straight and you feel a coolness through your spine up to your head, watch the breath in a detached manner and while allowing breath to occur, you relax. Relaxxxxxx. Don't stubbornly watch the breath and have a rigid sitting posture. Relaxxxxxxxxx.......

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
I'd suggest going to this link.

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php  and read the 2nd post in titled 'Shamatha/Calm abiding instructions and notes.'.

This is a good place to begin. Thank you Jeremy for proposing it to WilhelmVivas - I've been away the last few days and it would have been the recommendation I'd made had I been around to suggest it.

To clarify there is no tradition of "vipassana meditation" in Buddhism. Vipassana is a fruit of meditation, an outcome, a faculty that is developed. It means insight but has been hijacked by Western meditation traditions and the Goenka "School" to mean something completely different. I do not recommend Goenka retreats.

Kindly,

Matthew
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:15:27 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

kcgovil

• I practice vipassana s i understand
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
just do nothing, simply observe, no effort. even wilful observation is an effort. what ever happens , happens, no valuation no attachment , no analysis , just no nothing,

MeditationMann

• To change the world only requires one :)
    • Transcendental Meditation
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »
For me I first relax each part of my body from head to toe, as I focus on each body part individually. This allows my body to relaxed so that I can have a full mind and body release. I usually sit in a chair with my back straight when I meditate but you can lie down or sit cross-legged as well.

I then take myself to an imaginary place that leaves me with peace and tranquility. I would usually imagine I am on a beach and I can see, touch, smell, hear, and taste the environment that I am engulfed in. Oftentimes I would envision myself walking down the beach then I would count down from 10 to 1. I then become deeply relaxed and then I give myself positive affirmations for areas that I wish to improve upon in my life. After that I count from 1 to 5 then open my eyes feeling complete and utter relaxation for the remainder of the day :)

MeditationMann

• To change the world only requires one :)
    • Transcendental Meditation
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »
But I think the feeling that you get is completely normal because I get the same feeling oftentimes when I meditate. But typically I focus on astral projecting while I meditate. So when I get really deep like that I feel like it is my spirit trying to detach itself temporarily from my body. It feels like my spirit has risen to the top of my body and is trying to pull away. I would guess that the same thing is happening to you, you just weren't quite aware of what exactly was going on. But it is definitely nothing to be afraid of friend.