Author Topic: What are your passions? What are your loves?  (Read 2387 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
What are your passions? What are your loves?
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »
I love cookiing, carpentry, building whacky computers (here) (here) and (here), being alive, walking in mountains, snowboarding, helping people, writing on my website and, those days when ego dissolves enough that answers to my friends questions on vipassanaforum.net cut to the core with insight and compassion. My teacher used to talk of my "Vajra" nature and that "everything I did was Tantra even though you don't know it". Also I learned from her and from meditation in action that cutting insight, the best translation of "Vajra" nature is unbalanced unless combined with great compassion and also at least some level of humility. The compassion has come naturally to me, life taught me humility as I went along. I love the Dhamma more than anything.

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:03:14 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

thedublab

Re: What are your passions? What are your loves?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
Morning, Matthew.

It's been a while since I've been on the forum 'proper', but I still check in every day thru RSS. Lots of new faces here ('hi' everyone! :))

I'm lucky to have a job that I love, one that unites my two passions: teaching and the outdoors. I've done a lot of traveling in my life and I'm always humbled by the people I meet and the landscapes in which they inhabit. Now, living in Canada—a vast, diverse, and beautiful country—I'm thrilled to be able to work with communities and people of all ages, sharing our knowledge and stories, (re)connecting with our natural world, and igniting that sense of wonder (and, often, responsibility!) that comes from touching (maybe even seeing) a fish for the first time, slowing down and feeling the warmth of a rock in the sun, or looking—really looking—at the complexity of a leaf, or the world in a patch of forest floor.

Music and photography are other great passions of mine, both ways of trying to capture, express, and share the intangible, if only for a moment.

The Dhamma flows thru all of this, of course—sometimes obviously, sometimes more subtly (depending on my awareness that day :P) and I'm thankful that we found each other.

Oh, and I love this forum ;D

With metta,
Dave

greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Thank you, Matthew for sending ur post to my email address. I stopped contributing to the site because I stopped doing meditation, and I thought it wouldn't be fair for me to express my opinions and comment anymore..So I also stopped reading the posts. I am happy though to browse through the site again. I find good insight from people who still practice meditation :)
I also love cooking, love mountains, and recently rediscovered how much I like to teach. I love to read and love to question everything and figure out how things work, although I realize sometimes this doesn;t work to my advantage. Too much skepticism can make you give things up (like meditation, for instance  :D ) I also love to spend time with friends and have a good time.
Although I stopped practicing meditation per se, I see myself always trying to work with my mind so as not to be too caught up in Circumstances, I see myslef going over difficulties much easier, and not panicking over trifles. I try to be grateful for everything that I have. And I also made peace with the thought that when time is right, I'll start sitting again. Or maybe not. But I don't feel guilty about it anymore. As long as I'm a good person behaving as such :)
Monica

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
@ Monica
I hear what you are saying, many of us cycle in and out of meditation.  It is just a tool help calm the mind and see clearly.  If no one meditated but we all tried to live the lessons taught by the Dhamma this world would be a much happier place.  Please feel welcome here anytime.

My passions are: my family and friends, my work with all it's aggravations, I love hiking and the arts, I also spend a lot of time weight training after getting into it four years ago.  I personally have been through a lot over the last three years.  The Dhamma, long walks and gym time have been virtual lifesavers.

The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Samsara Addict

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »
I really love some passages in Walden by Henry David Thoreau. Beautiful descriptions of the woods, the pond, the seasons and the wildlife.

I also love the following quote by Ajahn Chah in his book called A Still Forest Pool. It goes like this:

"Try to be mindful, and let things take their natural course. Then your mind will become still in any surroundings, like a clear forest pool. All kinds of wonderful rare animals will come to drink at the pool, and you will clearly see the nature of all things. You will see many strange and wonderful things come and go, but you will be still. This is the happiness of the Buddha.

I love my friends and family. I've gone through some tough times lately and they were all there for me, in their own way, just when I needed them.

I love TED. In case you've not heard of it. Its an organization that invites experts from a range of fields including religion, philosophy, science and technology to make 20 minute presentations for laymen. Some really inspiring talks. Great for a curious person like me. All of the talks are available online at www.ted.com including one by Mattieu Ricard on meditation.

Ever since i was little i've loved football (soccer). My Grandad, Dad and most of my childhood friends love it too. Watching, playing or talking about it, Great stuff.

With metta

Del

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:14:36 PM »
Monica

You can talk about meditation without doing it. One day you might find you're doing it by accident ;)

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~