Author Topic: Appreciation for the teachings  (Read 1741 times)

betty

• Combo of Adyashanti and Shinzen Youngs teachings
Appreciation for the teachings
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »
I'm feeling so thankful for the teachings and just feel like expressing this.  I'm in awe of how much my life has been touched through meditation and what I've learnt through it.  My journey at the moment is primarily taken up with recovery from early abuse and after years of searching for ways to heal, I've come back to where I started a couple of decades ago: meditation.  Only now I've found some teachings that seem to be really helping me to experience the concepts that used to just be mental concepts: seeing impermanence, experiencing equanimity...

Somehow it all feels simple now, literally just showing up for each moment, which includes, when I relax enough, the unfolding of that which has been frozen inside for decades, that which I couldn't show up for when it happened.

Shinzen Young's teachings have had a big impact on me recently.  I wake in startle mode in the wee hours of each morning and am finally able to get into my body enough to actually dwell with what is there, rather than just get caught up in the merry-go-round of thought keeping me distanced from feeling.  I'm finally able to sit with the headaches/migraines that used to cause so much suffering for days on end.  And I'm learning to have spacious awareness when the flashbacks strike, staying with the imagery and current objective reality, knowing that no matter how I feel, the truth is that I am safe here right now.  And when I can't be with it, when I get identified with it all because the pain is stronger than awareness, even though I'm sucked into it all, somewhere deep down there is a knowing that this too shall pass.

May more and more people in recovery from severe trauma find these teachings and experience the power of them...

Thanks for "listening" folks.

TheMichelle

• Write something about yourself here
    • I meditate alone.
Re: Appreciation for the teachings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
Hi Betty. I think that's amazing and I'm happy for you!!

I only started meditating last week but I've been doing it everyday and I feel better now. I'm still not sure which is the best practice for me or what kind of meditation should I "follow". I will search for Shinzen Young's teachings. Is there any good website to learn?

Thank you.
Best wishes

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
Hi Betty,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing. Jim Hopper, a Clinical Instructor in Psychology at Harvard Medical School has a page on mindfulness aimed at various people but specifically including those recovering from trauma and wishing to integrate mindfulness into that:

Opening Comments and Suggestions

Is this page for you? You'll have to see, but some of the people I'm hoping to reach and benefit:

People who are curious about mindfulness, but have read little or nothing about it and never tried meditating.

People seeking new ways to overcome childhood hurts, depression, addiction, and other all-too-human problems.

Beginning meditators.

Meditators interested in the insights of a fellow meditator who happens to be a therapist, clinical psychology and psychiatric neuroscience researcher, as well as a husband and parent.

Therapists interested in bringing mindfulness and meditation into their clinical practices.

I find it to be a useful resource especially for those struggling to integrate early trauma but also for beginning mediators. It's located here: http://www.jimhopper.com/mindfulness/

Your words here struck me as powerful and important:

Somehow it all feels simple now, literally just showing up for each moment, which includes, when I relax enough, the unfolding of that which has been frozen inside for decades, that which I couldn't show up for when it happened.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Kindest regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

betty

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »
I only started meditating last week but I've been doing it everyday and I feel better now. I'm still not sure which is the best practice for me or what kind of meditation should I "follow". I will search for Shinzen Young's teachings. Is there any good website to learn?

Thank you!  It is great that you've started meditating - consistency of practice is the thing, because it's the practice that helps us to learn, the teachings don't make so much sense until we have experiences to help us understand them.  There seem to be two main approaches for beginners, one based mostly on breath and the other based on sensations throughout the body (the latter being Shinzen's approach that I'm working with, and as I understand it it is Goenka's approach but I haven't worked with his).  Shinzen has a couple of youtube channels which could give you a feel for whether you resonate with his teachings.  I saw yesterday there is a talk of his about fear and anxiety which I want to listen to when I have the time.  Sounds True have done some programs with him that I'm finding helpful, one on pain, one on difficult emotions, and a more in depth one too. 

I suggest you don't worry too much about which practice to use and just pick one and give it a few months before looking into anything else, otherwise you can just end up hopping from one practice to another and not developing any real mindfulness.  The benefits I'm getting are coming from years of meditation, not just following a particular method.  Know that it is absolutely worth it to develop a regular practice.   :)

betty

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
I find it to be a useful resource especially for those struggling to integrate early trauma but also for beginning mediators. It's located here: http://www.jimhopper.com/mindfulness/

Thanks Matthew, it feels good to be here.  I had forgotten about Jim Hopper's pages on the web, it could well be timely for me to revisit them, thank you.  I'm getting plenty of practice time in at the moment as the more I sit with the pain the more it seems to arise, but I guess that's not only understandable but also desirable in the long term.  I will have a read of Jim's page again, thank you.

betty

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:40:25 PM »
Matthew thank you so much for pointing me back to Jim Hopper's pages, your timing was perfect. I lost it this morning, had a panic attack in the wee hours trying to sit with physical pain, and reading a bit of Jim's stuff I can see what's happening.  I've been so helbent on sitting with the pain that I've forgotten the basics.  Jim writes:

First, choose an object of attention that can provide a "base" and "safe place" to come back to when experiences threaten to become overwhelming.

I can see now that I've lost touch with that safety net while working with Shinzen's teachings, forgetting that his teachings are for the average person, rather than the seriously traumatised.  This is sooo important.  Big thank you.