Author Topic: Programming the brain.  (Read 1453 times)

MrAccident

• Write something about yourself here
    • Nothing in particular.
Programming the brain.
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
Hello.
I'm going to make it as short as I can for now, just to explain; so it may sound more simple than it is. You can ask for farther explanations.
My mission is to program my brain (literally).
There are three ways I so far found I can achieve it:
1) To (literally) see something from my imagination and then continuing to control it more and more. This is the best method.
2) To stay conscious when sleeping, so I can enter my dreams consciously. Much less good; for some obvious downsides compared to the first.
3) To have a very vivid, regular, imagination. The least good method; though I had once also experienced it. I didn't literally see something, but there was an image and I knew quite a lot about it. Never mind too much details about this one now.

The thing is – I need a real method. The problem with those kind of things, like conscious dreams, is that the methods that are normally used are – playing tricks on the mind. Even if they seem like genuine methods – the way it actually suppose to work is that I practice something and then suddenly it just happens (by magic).
This doesn't work for me. What happens usually is that it starts to work very soon after I start practicing, and then also stops working very soon. My mind is very logical; so these methods are bad for me. Probably very good for some people.

A real method is simply like anything you learn; you start from the smallest step and gradually achieve better and better results.
Meditation already seems to be that kind of a thing. I achieve better and better results and learn many interesting and deep subtleties and intricacies.
So far I didn't succeed in my goals with meditation.
I had conscious dreams, about 65, but rarely, with bad control, and they stopped for some time now; because it was always dependent on tricks on the mind.

In the first of my methods - I had a single success – I was able to see a square from my imagination, by the method below; but this method didn't work for anyone in the thread eventually. You can read my first post on the third page, with the same nick.
The thread - http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-control/80879-advanced-vision-control-tutorial.html

So if anyone heard of something like this – I'll really appreciate it; and eventually the world will.

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Programming the brain.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
but why? what for?

betty

• Combo of Adyashanti and Shinzen Youngs teachings
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
Isn't it more helpful to unprogam the brain with vipassana?  What we need is all there, flowing through life, if we can just get out of our own way, and meditation is a wonderful aid to doing that.   :)

MrAccident

• Nothing in particular.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
The brain is a universal Turing machine (a computer); so any kind of a "program" is possible.
"what for?" - infinite possibilities.

Goofaholix

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
The brain is a universal Turing machine (a computer); so any kind of a "program" is possible.
"what for?" - infinite possibilities.

This forum is about Vipassana, what is the purpose in terms of Vipassana?

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Isn't it more helpful to unprogam the brain with vipassana?  What we need is all there, flowing through life, if we can just get out of our own way, and meditation is a wonderful aid to doing that.   :)

I second this, un-programming seems more like what we are trying to do.
You don't need to program your brain, the 'world' has already done / is still doing that for you.

Why do you say you haven't achieved your goals in meditation? What are they and why do you need to reach them?
Regards,
Tobin

MrAccident

• Nothing in particular.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
Goofaholix - (quoted from WikiPedia about Vipassana) "to gain insight in the true nature of reality".

Tobin - you cannot do a negative.

I've got ride of the very small influence the world had on my mind, a long time ago.

Is there any way to get Email notifications?

Goofaholix

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:20:04 AM »
Goofaholix - (quoted from WikiPedia about Vipassana) "to gain insight in the true nature of reality".

It's best to look at the entire sentence "means insight into the true nature of reality,[1][2] namely as the Three marks of existence: impermanence, suffering or unsatisfactoriness, and the realisation of non-self".

If you can indicate how what you are proposing contributes to that we'll have fertile ground for discussion.