Author Topic: Waking up with anxiety  (Read 2338 times)

TheMichelle

• Write something about yourself here
    • I meditate alone.
Waking up with anxiety
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

I started having some anxiety and depression feelings 2 months ago but I am getting better now. I started meditating last monday and I have been doing it everyday and I feel better. The thing is, I always used to sleep like 10 hours per day and waking up relaxed but since I started having these problems I can sleep like only 7/8 hours and I always wake up thinking about lots of things and a bit anxious too and it's like I can't calm my mind and stop my thoughts. Then I meditate for 20 minutes in the morning and during the rest of the day I'm always more calm but when I wake up it's always weird. I noticed that it is getting better too but it's like the feeling doesn't go away. I have been taking 1 pill for anxiety (alprazolam) every night when I go to bed because the doctor told me to.

What can I do in order to be able to have a more quality sleep and not wake up so anxious everyday? Any suggestions for improving my meditation or something?

Thanks

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Waking up with anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »
Ana,

One of the biggest causes of lack of sleep is stress and anxiety. Already you say you can feel a difference from regular practice - that's great news. Just remember you've had this anxiety for two months and only one week of meditation has started to impact it. Give it a little more time and it will show stronger results.

Another reason people find it hard to sleep is not drinking enough water (and some medications can make this worse). At least 2 litres a day is recommended. Also be sure not to drink coffee or caffeinated drinks later in the day.

The final thing that comes to mind is to make sure you allow the mind to relax before sleep: turn off the TV and computer for at least half an hour before you try and sleep.

Those are other things to try but really giving meditation a bit more time will likely show bigger results.

Kindly,

Matthew

PS apologies I wasn't there for meditation this morning. Long three days.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

TheMichelle

• I meditate alone.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
Thank yu for your answer Matthew.

I noticed that sometimes, now that I feel I'm getting better, that I start getting back to old ways, like not talking so much with my mother, being so self assured about everything and sometimes a bit arrogant. I noticed that yesterday and I felt a bit sad about it. I guess I have to keep working on it..

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »
Thank yu for your answer Matthew.

Hope it helped.

I noticed that sometimes, now that I feel I'm getting better, that I start getting back to old ways, like not talking so much with my mother, being so self assured about everything and sometimes a bit arrogant. I noticed that yesterday and I felt a bit sad about it. I guess I have to keep working on it..

Again, meditation is showing results - you are being more mindful of your way of being in the world, relating to others. That sadness you felt is quite natural but like everything else, it will pass. The important point is that you are noticing/aware of the ways you behave, and which you naturally feel uncomfortable with: this is where change starts :) - unless you are aware of something you have no ability to make changes, now you are becoming more aware you will naturally tend to be less arrogant, more open with your mother, etc.

Being self-assured is no bad thing in and of itself - it is certainly healthier than living in constant anxiety!

Often meditation can make us less self assured as we start to notice how much the "self" changes depending on circumstances - this leads to a natural questioning about what the "self" really is.

With all these things it is important to use your new awareness, develop a sense of equanimity or balance - and gradually make changes to your way of being that bring you into greater harmony with your "self" and the world around you - including other people.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

TheMichelle

• I meditate alone.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
Once again, thanks Matthew. You always help :)

I'm glad I'm getting better and yes I feel more aware of my stupid reactions sometimes and my arrogance. I'll work on it for sure. The most amazing change I noticed since I started meditating is that now even when I feel sad, I know I feel sad at that moment, doesn't mean I will always feel sad. And I don't have that fear that this will never pass, now I feel like even in a bad day it gets better. It's like I'm finally seeing life the way I used to before this happened to me, like I'm sure I will get better and be able to have a nice life in the future and accomplish my plans and dreams. The difference is that now I feel more aware about myself, I know myself better. And that will help me a lot in the future, for sure. I know that, in some time, I will even be thankful for this.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »
I know that, in some time, I will even be thankful for this.

You are very, very lucky to be honest (and show wisdom!): Not many people your age will engage sincerely with meditation. You have clearly taken onboard what we discussed and are benefiting from the effort you are putting into knowing yourself. This will stay with you for life :)

betty

• Combo of Adyashanti and Shinzen Youngs teachings
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
The most amazing change I noticed since I started meditating is that now even when I feel sad, I know I feel sad at that moment, doesn't mean I will always feel sad. And I don't have that fear that this will never pass, now I feel like even in a bad day it gets better. It's like I'm finally seeing life the way I used to before this happened to me, like I'm sure I will get better and be able to have a nice life in the future and accomplish my plans and dreams. The difference is that now I feel more aware about myself, I know myself better.

This is all the "proof" that you need that your meditation practice is working.  It is so heartening to read someone writing this after only a short time practising.  I ditto what Matthew said - if everyone took to meditation like you have, the world would be a much more peaceful place.  Good for you.

TheMichelle

• I meditate alone.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
Thank you Matthew and Betty, I'll keep up the practice. Even if I don't follow any meditation technique, I think it's a great habit.

Thank you :)