Author Topic: Nervous about second 10 day retreat  (Read 1724 times)

ethericbrother

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana, S.N. Goenka
Nervous about second 10 day retreat
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »
Hello All,

I went to a 10 day retreat for the first time 2 years ago. This first experience had been very, very beneficial in so many ways, and I have a deep faith about the technique.

But during this 2 year period I have never really practiced as advised (2 hours/day + sila). I had periods when I would meditate regularly for 30 mn each day, but I know it is not sufficient to progress.

I am now going back at the end of this month as an old student, and I don't really know what to expect.

Writing this post I now realize how it is futile, as I will soon see for myself :)

But still, any advice or comment are welcome.

Best wishes,

m.

Re: Nervous about second 10 day retreat
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
Be ready to give 100%. Even then you will most probably fail to cope with the speed of the course. Don't be disheartened.

Alexander

• Anapanasati
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
If you made it through the first course the second will probably be more beneficial. I found I spent much of the first course coping with the more superficial issues. In my second course which was two years later I surrendered more and was able to understand more.

I did no where near two hours a day in between.

ethericbrother

• Vipassana, S.N. Goenka
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »
Thank you guys, I am getting ready mentally. I know it will be tough, and also know I can make it. It sure is time for me to pay my deeds : )

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
Thank you guys, I am getting ready mentally. I know it will be tough, and also know I can make it. It sure is time for me to pay my deeds : )

m - a very practical thing you can do is build your practice in the weeks and days prior to the retreat so you are doing at least 2 x 1 hour. It's much easier to transit from that to retreat than 30 minutes.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

ethericbrother

• Vipassana, S.N. Goenka
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:54 AM »
Hello again!

Just came back from my second course!

Compared to my first experience, I had more difficulties in the first days. I realized how violent the method actually was, and understood why it had to be this way.

By giving 100%, @siddharthgode, I felt like making good progress, and got a very deeper understanding of the whole method, its purpose, its effects, @Alexander.

I surprised myself with my determination, I was absolutely not expecting to go this deep in my body/mind.

I realized that during my first course I was more into my mind, while this time everything was so concrete.

Just wanted to share my feelings, thank you again.

m.