Author Topic: Dealing with spiritual crisis  (Read 1291 times)

snaxks

• lay
Dealing with spiritual crisis
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
How do you deal with a spiritual/existential crisis?

I think I have received it after contemplating on the impermanance of things (anicca) a large element of fear is involved.. I can recognize that this fear is part thinking of the future and a fear of the unknown of my realization.

How do I cope with this?
You begin to look upon yourself as if you were a newspaper photograph. When viewed with the naked eyes, the photograph you see is a definite image. When viewed through a magnifying glass, it all breaks down into an intricate configuration of dots.

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Dealing with spiritual crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »
Accept the impermanence. Accept it wholeheartedly.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Dealing with spiritual crisis
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
Hi snaxks

I think I have received it after contemplating on the impermanance of things (anicca) a large element of fear is involved.. I can recognize that this fear is part thinking of the future and a fear of the unknown of my realization.

How do I cope with this?

Keep up the practice, breathe and relax. It's not uncommon for a lot of fear to arise. Become familiar with it, let yourself feel it, as Middleway indicates realising it is impermanent too: i.e. "This too shall pass".

A lot of old fear is arising for me in practice and daily life too right now. When I fully allow myself to feel this fear it becomes clear that it is an old, old habit. There is a kind of "edginess" to it: as if some part of my being says, or was told, "you are not allowed to be at peace, happy". I just continue to sit with it and breathe and let it be, let the intuition guide me as to how far into it I can travel each day. It sometimes feels like walking on the blade of a knife, yet I know, "This too shall pass".

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~