Author Topic: Ringing in the ears  (Read 2141 times)

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Ringing in the ears
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
I have been practicing for one hour daily after completing 10-day retreat (as taught by Mr. Goenka) four months ago. Since the body scanning did not really work for me, I was searching for alternative technique and found this forum. I have been practicing Shamatha technique described on the front page of this website for the last five weeks or so. Within 10 days of starting to practice this new technique, I developed ringing in the ears (both).  The ringing was mild at the beginning and progressively got worse. Consultations with experienced meditators and a trip to the doctor, my problem was not solved.

I finally figured out the issue by observing the conditions under which I was practicing. The culprit was the furnace fan that was turning off and on. When I was practicing Mr. Goenka technique, since my attention was on the nostrils, I did not pay much attention to the fan noise. If I did, it apparently did not bother me much. When I switched to Shamatha, my ears could hear the “silence” when the fan turned off. Soon thereafter, the fan noise was replaced by ringing in the ears when the fan was off.  Now I meditate with fan turned off completely and the ringing is progressively decreasing although it is not completely gone.

Hope this may help someone.

Middleway

Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

KenBrace

• Write something about yourself here
    • Mo Pai Nei Kung
Re: Ringing in the ears
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
I experience ringing in my ears during meditation. It is only because of how quiet the room is though. I actually find that it helps me to listen to the ringing. It's helps me focus I guess.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Middleway.
For general readers: the theme of ringing in the ears has been brought up a few times more on the forum. If you want to know, use the search function in the upper right corner, and search for 'tinnitus' and search for 'buzz'.

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »
I have tinnitus for 8 months now in my right ear. Got it a few days after a doctors appointment.....go figure

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »
The ringing in the ears is a very useful meditation object, I guess provided it isn't to the degree that it's a medical condition ie Tinnitus.

I find when I can hear it distinctly the mind is calm and spacious, so it's a good thing to include in your meditation rather than reject as a distraction.  It's harder to hear in a noisy environment but i find even then if incline the mind towards it I can access that sense of calm and spaciousness.

Ajahn Sumedho encourages this as a meditation object, google "Ajahn Sumedho sound of silence".

bram

• Still workin' on it
    • a hotchpotch of influences, 99% buddhism
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
If you want to investigate the ringing sound a little further, this is a quote from Edward Salim Michael's wonderful book The Law of Attention - Nada Yoga and the way of Inner Vigilance.

'Having taken his meditation posture, and prepared himself mentally and physically—by quieting his mind, relaxing, and feeling a deep global sensation of his body—the seeker should now decide firmly not to move any more. Closing his eyes, he should remain as still as possible, listening internally with sustained attention. If he can be inwardly quiet enough and deeply absorbed in the search, he will, if he is truly persistent, suddenly become aware of an unusual, feeble sound that can be heard deep inside the ears and head, concealed from him before and obscured by the din of his incessant mental restlessness. When the aspirant has become aware of the mysterious presence in him of this sound, he may at first be struck with surprise and awe, but no matter how weak or distant it may appear, it will be very obvious that this is no ordinary sound but a mystical one of a higher cosmic order. It could be called the primordial sound.'

I use this as a meditation method much of the time now; when I first found the sound it was faltering, distant and way off to the left, now its loud and central, and with me constantly. So I guess I managed to give myself tinnitus, but I'm very glad of it.

PS - if you're looking for it and can't find it, try listening to Solfeggio tones loud on headphones for an hour!

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Have had Tinnitus for a year going back to last October. Its only in the right ear. I am use to it now....rings non stop can only hear it when its really quiet. Sometimes I get so zoned out I don't even hear it even when its completely quite