Author Topic: mindfulness of thought  (Read 1016 times)

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
mindfulness of thought
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:26:59 AM »
Mindfulness of thought is proving to be very difficult for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this skill?  I can witness my breath and body sensations but my thoughts just draw me in so much!  Sometimes I can witness them non-attached but mostly I get carried away into them. I find myself having an easier time witnessing thoughts in the early morning and late at night just before sleep.  Does anyone have any advice?
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: mindfulness of thought
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:52:34 AM »
Thinking is a process, you just need to be aware of when the process is active and when it is idling.  It doesn't matter whether awareness lags behind as long as you keep working at it.

You don't want to get involved in the content of the thoughts, unless the same thoughts keep arising persistently.

It's helpful to note "thinking" softly in your mind each time you notice thought starting to dominate your experience, just look at it objectively and realise that thought is impermanent, is not self not you as you can't contriol it.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: mindfulness of thought
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:57 AM »
Goofaholix advice is good.

I think it is also worth understanding how meditation works progressively in this regard: first the mind is very untamed, wild. Then you begin a concentration and relaxation practice focusing on breath. Without suppressing thought you notice or note it as above, returning awareness to breath without feeding a "train of thought". When you continually undertake this practice you are training the mind into a more peaceful and concentrated state with less intrusive thoughts, but it takes time and regular practice. In the early stages it can appear to become more of a problem as your awareness is being used in a new way. But before too long the mind begins to settle and less thoughts intrude: the mind is beginning to learn it's place: servant not master.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~