Author Topic: Witnessing  (Read 1376 times)

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
Witnessing
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
I am wondering. Sometimes when I meditate I get a sensation or feeling of disassociation with my thoughts feelings and body. At other ties its not there.  I have come to realize that not matter whether that feeling is present or not my breathing is constantly happening on its own.  I can just sit and breathe and have no problem knowing that it is happening absent my will.  This has lead me to a question though.  As for the rest of the phenomenon that happens in the mind, does disassociation become a requirement to being able to witness thoughts and feelings?  Or is it the same as the breath that there is an underlying natural order to thoughts and feelings that does not require will.  I sometimes get the sense that my thoughts are happening absent my will but usually I am still caught up in the game.  Slowly I am becoming aware of my thoughts patterns as pattern and streams of thought rather than factual and valid points of view.  Feelings are easy enough to witness in bodily sensations but can someone elaborate on the process of emotion for example;  I feel anger due to a customer at the store I work for calling me slow to my face in public my first gut reaction is to be embraced and apologetic but when II get home and meditate I get angry and ruminate but realize I should focus on my body and recognize the sensations of anger in my body and the breathes alteration from the emotion.  After it passes though and after I have successfully remained in a state of equanimity through the angry moment and all the negative thoughts that arose, does it go away or can it return for a second wind.  I have experienced that I will think about it again and feel the embarrassment and apologetic moment again that initially happened but the rest has subsided except for maybe a little fear of what my mind fantasized to do in retaliation. All I can say about what I fantasized about is that its not me, its not how I behave.  Anyways, did I let go of the anger that was suppressed? Was it even suppressed anger?

This forum is absolutely the best thing that has happened to my solo progress along the spiritual path. I just what to thank you in advance for any response and wisdom shared. It is highly respected and cherished. I hope that others are able to use my posts with there own progression.
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Witnessing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
As you suggested there is an underlying natural order to thoughts and feelings that does not require will, just like breathing.  It's easier to see this with breathing as nobody identifies with breathing as being their identity or their self, this is why breathing is a useful meditation object particulaly in the beginning, it's easy to observe breathing objectively.

Gradually over time we learn to observe thought and emotion objectively, the mind just does it's job and thinks as and when it wants to with or without your getting involved in the process.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Witnessing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »
Sounds like you are on your way.

Freedom from will, rather than freedom of will.