Author Topic: Just sharing  (Read 2049 times)

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Just sharing
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »
I had a dream last night: went through a difficult journey to ordain as a nun in Burma, reached the monastery gates and was going through formalities when I woke up - Monday, get ready for office. I think I prefer being a nun and have scriptures and scholars around me, that much I know now.

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
Re: Just sharing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
It has been my dream since childhood to be a monk.  I have told my family many times but they are so afraid to lose me that  they ridicule the lifestyle and rebuke me for my interest in it.  Sounds like a wonderful dream! Thanks for sharing
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Alex

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
Nice dream! I had fantasies of becoming a monk a few years ago  :angel:
I actually struggled a lot with the ambivalence I felt about it. I imagine I might consider it again when I'm older, when I no longer have worldly ambitions or responsibilities...

Is becoming a nun something you are considering, poojavassa?

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
I have a dog to take are of. As soon as it passes away I am off to Burma..... Can't wait....

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
I often contemplate how much different the path is living a monastic life. Part of it seems a little artificial given its a highly controlled environment with far less stimulae and things to cloud the mind. I think my compromise would be to stop working and spend all day in my garden, my work seems to hit my equanimity like a tonne of bricks each day.

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »
Yes Alex, want to ordain since I was 19 yrs old.

Need a safe monastery for women  :'(

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Poojavassa, Ajahn Brahm split with the Thai Forest Sangha because he ordained  women into the Sangha - he teaches in Malaysia quite often and I think would be a very good source of advice on the subject.

The monastery grew out of political accommodations as wandering Buddhists were perceived to be a threat to kings and rulers power. Don't assume it's the most intense pace to learn the Dhamma.

I was invited to join the monastic Sangha in the Tibetan tradition in India. To do so the first four years would have been spent primarily learning Tibetan language. This did not seem necessary to progression in the Dhamma and so I chose a celibate lay life.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
Thanks Matthew.

Your response will make me think more about making my daily life a dwelling of dhamma.

I do miss nature and find it almost impossible to train like I how I wish in modern life because I am busy all the time just arranging for food and shelter.

I want the teachings to be available in India in a space where women can come and live for life without any fear.