Author Topic: is quick transformation possible?  (Read 2686 times)

rob

• Write something about yourself here
    • vipassana
is quick transformation possible?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
Is it possible without years of meditation to transform. In the book out of darkness "steve taylor? a few examples are given : Eckart tolle,krishnamurti,russel williams,byron katie,catherine ingram. All based on the transformational power of suffering. I looked also at the drug ayahuasca, but to dangerous for me to take i had a stroke. The effect of this drug could be in a couple of days.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: is quick transformation possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
Some effects of meditation can be mimicked with artificial substances. But chemically induced states of mind aren't lasting and rarely carry much insight with them, all you're really doing is changing the cassette tape in your mind from the normal algorithm to the "slightly messed up" algorithm.

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
To me it's a bit like asking if a quick transformation to adulthood, practice is a process of maturing and development.

Skipping childhood and adolescence wouldn't be a good idea, you'd miss the the character building opportunities that challenges in life bring, spiritual growth is the same.

Sometimes things click in moments of clarity and it might seem like instant enlightenment is possible but we don't know how much preparatory work setup the possibility for that to happen.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
Rob, do you compare "the transformational power of suffering" with ayahuasca? How so?
On sudden changes, it might be enlightening to see this TED talk from a brain scientist who got a stroke.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight?language=en
It certainly changed her life for good, in a positive way.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
Is it possible without years of meditation to transform. In the book out of darkness "steve taylor? a few examples are given : Eckart tolle,krishnamurti,russel williams,byron katie,catherine ingram. All based on the transformational power of suffering. I looked also at the drug ayahuasca, but to dangerous for me to take i had a stroke. The effect of this drug could be in a couple of days.

According to the Suttas quick transformation is possible. That was with a Buddha present to guide and in a life devoted to the path, without possessions, living a reclusive life, begging for food, clinging to nothing.

I'm unconvinced of any of the examples you quoted being enlightened in the manner which is the goal of the path.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

rob

• vipassana
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Hi  Quardamon,

The book frpm jill bolte taylor "stroke of insight"is one of mine best books. Have read it a few times.
. No ayahuasca is only a tea based on chemical substances and according to me can not be compared to transformation due to suffering. A church is based on the ayahuasca, but they do warm about health risk for certain illnesses ie stroke. http://www.santodaime.nl

rob

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I don't know about the others you quoted but krishnamurthi was part of buddha's sangha in previous life.. He himself quoted it a few times... He must be a once returner.. That's why he didn't need training.

rob

• vipassana
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »
Hello,

Have read the paragraph krishnamurty. He suffered a lot. The real change started at 27 year and lasted 3 years. The transformation finished when his younger brother Nitya died of tuberculosis.

rob