Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis  (Read 3709 times)

PeasantProphet

• Write something about yourself here
    • Beginner
Sleep Paralysis
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Does anyone here experience or had a experience with it? What are your opinions about it? Do you believe in the scientific explanation of it, or is there maybe something more? Has meditation helped you with it in anyway?

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: Sleep Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
My wife has experience with that. If I remember well, sometimes it is that she cannot move, and she found that scary in the beginning. Later she accepted that this could happen, and that she would be able to move after a few minutes. Then it was not so scary any more, although she still finds it an unpleasant experience.
Sometimes, in the past, she would wake up from a nightmare and then not be able to move. Of course, that makes it harder to come out of the atmosphere or the nightmare.
In recent years, this occurred only once. It helps her, that I lay beside her. Against the scary atmosphere of nightmares, if she cannot wake up, she will call upon angels to stand her by.

(In my view, if negative forces are experienced, it is legitimate to call upon positive forces. They are on the same level of illusion / reality.
In my view, if someone would call upon positive forces (like angels) without needing them, that would be creating illusions.
But maybe, that is a different chapter.)

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:34:12 AM »
Do you think it is purely hallucinations from the mind or something spiritual? Maybe astral projection? Or hallucinations from the mind?

In my view, if someone would call upon positive forces (like angels) without needing them, that would be creating illusions.
But maybe, that is a different chapter.) What do you mean by this?

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:29:11 PM »
In my view, it does matter how you name things.
It makes a difference if you give something a positive label, or a negative label, or a neutral label.
It is helpful have a kind and gentle tone when you investigate what is what is going on.

The mystic Hildegard von Bingen heard a voice of an angel that dictated her what she should write down, and she did. That is widely acknowledged as something spiritual. But hearing a voice of an angel can also be called a hallucination. She chose the best way to handle this.
She was a very well organised woman, knew a lot about herbs, did logical investigation in their healing qualities. And she led a convent.

I know little about astral projection. I heard, that it is possible to come back into the body and then first not be able to move. But I I am not comfortable with the language of astral projection, so I cannot help you with that view.

If you do not have hallucinations during the day, I would not chose the word hallucination. That word is mostly used if people cannot organise their lives and cannot organise their mind. Also not during the day.

I hope it is clear that I can offer very little, in respect to sleep paralysis.

My remark about angels was more directed at handling nightmares. I mentioned it, because on wikipedia I read, that sometimes after nightmares, sleep paralysis is experienced.
I am not so sure if I should go into this.

Did you talk to a professional, like your house doctor, about your sleep paralysis?

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
I had it since I was a kid, i'm use to it actually just was wondering if anyone else had it. Usually happens when my sleep schedule gets messed up or I am taking a nap. I didn't get it once for a year or so. Just wiggle your toe or pinky I guess :D

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »
I had a very strong instance once, I felt I "fell" on my bed and then could not move my arms and legs or even speak or wake up from this "sleep". I have a friend who had angel-world experiences and sometimes travel to several worlds, it used to start spontaneously mostly but then she could decide to vanish come back etc. once comfortable in the experience.

Another  Pali teacher had a very bad experience when a dark force got him during sleep and he could not move.

I think I brains receive much more information than we can process or are capable of deciphering.

When that Pali teacher was physically incapable under the increasing pressure from the dark force upon him he just recollected the Buddha and Sangha and the dark force that made it even difficult to breathe, fell away.

Helpful forces for Dhamma are always there, you are never alone!

I have been living alone a long time and if you ask me I never really felt 'alone'.
I recollect the qualities of the Buddha and my mind knows peace in the rare circumstance I feel scared about such things. Reflection on death has also been a great pillar, from my experience, even real-world physical danger fallls away once we have worked away the fear - experientially- as fear arises and reaches its peak, I just watch this fear and its sensations and stay equanimous treating fear as  'anicca' (impermanent). I have been able to do this even when I dealt with the physical cause of fear outside, as people threatened and tried to physically attack me, a part of my mind was always equanimous and I have seen  it is has sometimes given me very quick result, almost like rescue.

I came out unharmed, not once but many times.

(For me, equanimity of the mind becomes more important in the face of life-threatening situation, it happens almost without effort now because the practice has some roots now).

Also same with greed, embarrassing situations, not only fear ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:06:08 AM by poojavassa »

bomega

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:18 PM »
I whole-heartedly agree and have experienced such things as well.

I have been living alone a long time and if you ask me I never really felt 'alone'.
I recollect the qualities of the Buddha and my mind knows peace in the rare circumstance I feel scared about such things. Reflection on death has also been a great pillar, from my experience, even real-world physical danger fallls away once we have worked away the fear - experientially- as fear arises and reaches its peak, I just watch this fear and its sensations and stay equanimous treating fear as  'anicca' (impermanent). I have been able to do this even when I dealt with the physical cause of fear outside, as people threatened and tried to physically attack me, a part of my mind was always equanimous and I have seen  it is has sometimes given me very quick result, almost like rescue.

I came out unharmed, not once but many times.

I believe it. In addition to the effect it has on you, an average predator wants to take a victim's energy, and they want an easy prey. Someone whose mind can maintain being equanimous is not easy to take down.

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
"I believe it. In addition to the effect it has on you, an average predator wants to take a victim's energy, and they want an easy prey. Someone whose mind can maintain being equanimous is not easy to take down."

You nailed it Bomega!

As always, glad to be able to talk here :)

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
Nice replies thanks. I am not to well versed in Dhamma.....I should look in to it more. Just been dealing with my anxieties and panic. Meditation has helped tremendously. Stopped meditating for a few weeks because my sleep schedule was messed up. Sleeping at 6 in the morning and waking up at 3 was draining me and I felt like a slug trapped in Molasses. I've had Sleep Paralysis for pratically my whole life. My mom has it to....I do remember when I was religious saying things about Jesus and GOD and LOVE would make it go away and weaken its grip. My sleep schedule is fixed for now I am sleeping at 9-11 pm and waking up early...best small change I made in awhile. Now back to meditation :), thanks for the replies

BuddhistBoi

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
Does anyone here experience or had a experience with it? What are your opinions about it? Do you believe in the scientific explanation of it, or is there maybe something more? Has meditation helped you with it in anyway?

I believe the scientific explanation of sleep paralysis is accurate.  The mind is awakened or remains awake as the body shuts off it's motor functions for sleep.  Now, what actually occurs in the state of sleep paralysis is another issue.  I have experienced some pretty intense hallucinations in this state that appeared completely real, so it is hard to say what is actually occurring here.  I find that times of increased meditation, especially around bedtime or early morning while still in bed, increase the likelihood of sleep paralysis.  I have learned that it is nothing to fear, despite how real the experience seems.  Best not give in to negative responses, but to remain equanimous with whatever manifests.

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »
I to agree with the scientific version of this to, and I rarely do thought. Thing that got me wondering was the story of the Asian men who came to the united states and died in their sleep and they were in seemingly good health, they were trying to tie sleep paralysis to it, familiar with that story?

BuddhistBoi

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »
Haven't heard it, but it sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  I wouldn't worry about it and I definitely don't think medical attention is necessary.  Some people actually encourage and induce this state in other spiritual practices.  Just apply the 8 fold path to all experiences that arise and you will be unshakeable. 

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 04:12:36 AM »
Never heard of the 8 fold path, do you have it? I'm sure a google search will do just fine. The story about the Asians dying in their sleep is true, but it was not proven it was sleep paralysis. One theory was their belief from their cultures of demons or whatever, gave them a good fright and scare and caused a heart attack