Author Topic: Following a thought or let it go?  (Read 1143 times)

musician1776

• A student in search for inner peace
    • Not sure
Following a thought or let it go?
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:50:29 AM »
Sorry if this is a redundant question that has been asked by many newbies, but it's something that I'm very confused about. Throughout my reading and studying of meditation, I've heard that if a thought arises, observe it without any sort of judgement and then let it go. I've also heard that I should observe it for a while and be as mindful as I can with it for longer periods of time.

I'd be busy for years if I took time with each and every thought! Maybe I'm being a little too literal and strict about a regime while meditating, but my personality is very "black or white" in terms of how things are done. I do a specific set of mantras and levels of meditation while in sitting practice and I feel that observing the thoughts wouldn't ever let me get to my usual meditation practice. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I wish you all well.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: Following a thought or let it go?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
Perhaps this reaction to a comparable question would help you:

Books say to watch thoughts arise and fall. Not to let thought trails go on like videos. i.e., There is a difference between a thought and a thought trail. Thought trail is a thought that has already grabbed once's attention and desires. Thought is just a pure image or a sound which is not identified by the self yet.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
Hi musician,

Before you can watch a single thought without getting caught in trains of thought you will have to devote some time and discipline to the foundations of serenity and concentration. Without this grounding your mind will wander. With this grounding the space after a thought can be used to watch it dissolve rather than conditioning another thought.

I hope that helps,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:33 AM »
Thought is a process, you just need to be aware of it operating, thoughts arise, stick around for a while (less so if you don’t feed them), then pass away.

You should just be aware of the process happening, of thought arising and passing away, but not get involved in the content (story) as it really doesn’t matter what it’s about as most discursive thought is rubbish anyway.  It will soon become clear that because you can’t control it thought is not self, so you buy into the stories it tries to spin less and less.

However if you find that the same kind of story arises again and again it probably indicates craving, aversion, or delusion that might be worth investigating.