Author Topic: Thoughts about my free meditation app for the iPhone - XxxXxxxxx  (Read 4755 times)

remouherek

• Mindfulness, Vipassana, Soto Zen
Hello Dear Community,

My name is Remo, I live in Switzerland and I am meditating for more than five years now. I hope it's okay that I introduce a free app that I have created. I have been looking for a very simple and easy to use meditation app. Unfortunately I have not found what I was looking for. Problem found - problem solved. So I have spent a couple of months and have created an app called "xxxxxx". It is intended to be a very simple, uncluttered and easy to use app. It offers a simple timer with beautiful bells and sounds, a mediation diary and basic community features. It also offers presets and interval bells for advanced users. Our early users have given us an average rating of 5 stars. Now I am looking for more testers to give us direction of what we could improve.

It's available for the iPhone and it's 100%

Moderator edit: please don't spam the forum. It is not ok to advertise and we say so in the rules you agreed to

Honest feedback and comments appreciated. Anything I could improve?

With Gratitude,
Remo
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:50:38 AM by Matthew »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Thoughts about my free meditation app for the iPhone - XxxXxxxxx
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
Hi Remo,

How is your app different to Insight Timer which has been around for a couple of years?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:51:09 AM by Matthew »

remouherek

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Hi Dharmic Tui

Excellent question. The short answer: Try both and see for yourself.

The longer answer:
Insight Timer is a fantastic product and Bradley can be proud of it. However I can feel a certain legacy of being online for 5 years. At least for me (here in Europe) the user interface is quite slow and the design feels quite outdated. Tastes are different and I simply didn't enjoy using it, despite the great functionality. I have been using Runkeeper to keep track of my running, and have been enjoying it a lot. One day I had the idea: I want the same for my meditation. So our user experience has been deeply inspired by Runkeeper (which is used by 25 million people). We tried to create a very fast, smooth, and beautiful app. While some of our users have switched to us from Insight Timer, it is not our goal to convince users to switch. We just want to offer more choice for people who are not yet using such an app.

Here are some differences:
- You are not forced to register if you want to see your stats or use the journal
- After a session ends a screen welcomes you where you can enter a journal note and choose on a session by session basis whether you want to share this session to your social networks
- Open ended meditation: Tap the Start open end button and meditate as long as you wish without a predetermined ending time
- One Click Registration with Facebook Connect in addition to manual registration
- Fully functional free version instead of having to purchase a full-version upgrade (we might add some of that later to cover our costs)
- Multilingual (currently two languages, many more to come)
- Very fast and responsive user interface

Again, if you are a happy Insight user, there obviously is no need to switch. Different people have different tastes. It's the same reason why there are so many Buddhist traditions and lineages :)

All the best
Remo
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:51:25 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:00:20 AM »
Different people have different tastes. It's the same reason why there are so many Buddhist traditions and lineages :)

Hi Remo,

I'm unsure the analysis above has any validity. The Buddha taught one path. He also taught his Dhamma would not extend beyond 500 years intact. I suspect this has more to do with there being so many traditions and lineages - ego has taken over the show. The sangha started splitting soon after Gautama died and continue to split many times, as well as the Dhamma being converted (perverted?) to incorporate local traditions and beliefs as it moved around.

Many "Buddhist" traditions do things expressly taught as not leading to wisdom and joy by the Buddha.

Kind regards,

Matthew
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:51:43 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »
I can't say I really need such an app to do more than count down the time. If your practice is progressing as it should you should want less features, not more.

VinceField

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
Remouherek

What is the name of your app?  I wanted to share the link with some friends but I noticed that it was deleted, along with the censoring of the app's name!  Wonder why they didn't just delete the thread?  Not sure what the point of keeping it open if the main subject is completely censored, but ok.  Perhaps a display of power.  Although you were obviously advertising your app, I felt it was a relevant product and it was free of charge, so you were essentially providing a free and relevant service and you seemed to be looking for genuine feedback and discussion, rather than trying to simply push it on us claiming that it is a superior product.  I wonder if I find a free and potentially useful meditation tool and I share it, will it be censored, or perhaps only if I am the creator of it?  I'm wondering if you have tried to share the app at other forums and whether or not they censored it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:52:35 PM by VinceField »

remouherek

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
Hi VinceField,

You can find a link to the app in my signature.

With Gratitude,
Remo

VinceField

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
Thanks

I just checked out Dhamma Wheel's forum and they seem to allow the sharing and discussion of meditation apps.  Worth a try anyway.  Good luck with it.

remouherek

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Thanks, I'll check i out.

I am a forum owner as well, so I know about spam very well. That was the reason why I've tried to play it as transparent and non-spammy as possible, by using my real name, my real picture and explaining how the project was born. As the project is still very young, it was my intention to introduce it to a larger number of users and to get additional feedback. However I totally respect the Mod's decision to delete the link and hope that having a link in the signature is okay.

Marc

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
Vince why are you loking for fights in every post? Every post you write in ends with 5 pages of useless arguing.

VinceField

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
LOL me thinks you have the wrong idea Marc buddy.  I happen to be a proponent of the freedom of speech and saw no problems with the content of remouherek's post, so I simply spoke my mind.   It appears nobody else had a problem with it either until three or four days after he posted when suddenly some crucial information from the post disappeared like magic.  I expect no fight from anyone, I simply presented some ideas to be taken into consideration by the moderator.  All that really resulted from the censoring was an extra step was created for us to get the information we need to download the app, creating an inconvenience for us rather than actually removing the spam.  It's like having an email service that instead of sending the entire spam message to the spam folder, it just takes out key words from the message and leaves the rest in your inbox.  It just seems a bit silly to me.  But I have no problems with anyone and it is not my place to say how these things should be taken care of. 

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
Oh dear not a free speech proponent.

remouherek might be a nice guy, and this might be a good app, but this thread isn't really in the spirit of this forum. He's trying to generate traffic for his app and is highly unlikely to becoming a long term beneficial contributor to this forum. He's probably made this thread on dozens of sites hoping to conjure up some support (and thankfully he's got one more to do it on now, thanks to you). It does tend to be spam, and spam doesn't have any place here.

But thanks anyway for the "It's not my my place to say how these things should be taken care of but I'll make it a point to repeatedly voice my opinion about it all and make out I know better".

Free speech means you can say anything you want, however it doesn't give you amnesty from whatever it is you say. There's a distinction there.

I think your ego is going to have you removed from here if you're not able to reign it in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:51:44 PM by Dharmic Tui »

shu

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
... and it is not my place to say how these things should be taken care of.

Perhaps the first true words you have spoken here. It is not your place, but still you have to make remarks like "Perhaps a display of power" about the removal of the URL. You acknowledged the forum rules and it is not your place to say anything about the advertising rules of this forum. Yet still you have to start an unnecessary discussion and still you try to provoke the moderators of this forum. In my view your main contribution to this forum is trolling and that was already poisonous for several discussions here. Please stop this behaviour. And don't reply to this post, I won't discuss this any further anyway.

Sorry Remo, this is offtopic. I wish you the best for your app.

VinceField

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing your opinions guys.  Matthew, my intention was not to offend you, and perhaps the "display of power" remark seemed a bit much but I wasn't able to reach any other logical conclusion, although I suppose it's not much different from the times you have felt compelled to point out your perception of my being egotistical.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not too worried about it either way, so feel free to dismiss it. 

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
Feel free to try and take some of it on board. It would seem the majority of other members here find your posts to be overly antagonistic, obnoxious, and a distraction. Perhaps it's time for you to move on, or maybe even start your own forum?

Sometimes there's a bit of sheep mentality with consensus, and sometimes people are all thinking the same thing for a reason.

VinceField

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 01:11:16 AM »
If you can't handle varying viewpoints without experiencing aversion then perhaps you are the one not fit for forum activity.  I do not believe that your perceptions as to the nature of my posts are a reflection of reality.  If you believe that raising opinions or viewpoints that differ from yours is antagonistic then you may need to think outside the box a bit and see things from a broader perspective.  Presenting ideas that challenge what you may believe does not equate to antagonism, and the motivations you may be projecting onto my activity is just that-your projections-not reality.  If you wish to engage in unwholesome speech by degrading my posts to the status of the adjectives you have used and absurdly claiming that a majority of other members here agree, then I am sorry you have chosen that unfruitful path.  I'm sorry you wish me gone, and I hope that in time you will succeed in conjuring up the compassion, love, and equanimity to overcome this aversion.  I wish you the best.             

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 02:09:32 AM »
Im indifferent to whether you're here or not, it's more your behaviour this place can do without. There's challenging perspectives and beliefs, then theres being a contrarian for the sake of it. There's a very reasonable line of logic for why posts like the OP get censored yet you've felt the need to stir the pot, and then hide behind a veil of free speech where someone who calls you out has an aversion to being challenged.

But keep going chief, we're heading to an epiphany, im sure of it.

VinceField

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 03:28:07 AM »
There's challenging perspectives and beliefs, then theres being a contrarian for the sake of it.

You are deluding yourself by claiming to know my motivations, and your aversions towards me and my views have been made clear well before this thread my friend. 

Not for nothing, but I have spoken with a past member of this forum who went out of his way to reach out and sympathized with me for what he perceived as unprovoked mistreatment by certain members of this forum towards me.  This member informed me that this behavior was a common occurrence among some of the more prominent members here in dealing with those who expressed views that were contrary to the common belief structure of this forum, and he encouraged me that my posts have generally been polite, healthy, balanced and inquisitive.  He also revealed that several other members here felt the same way but were unwilling to express themselves openly in fear of persecution, relying on private messages to give their support. 

I explained to him that although there has been some turmoil here and a certain degree of hostility directed towards me, I have overall benefited from hearing the perspectives and advice from others regarding meditation teachers and practices, and believe that my input may be of some help in some way to others as well, especially as I have been making good progress in my meditation practice.  I was also rather relieved that your opinion was not common consensus, as I was actually starting to doubt my own ability to discern the nature and intentions of my activities here on the forum after all the repeated attempts at coloring them in a negative and self-serving light by some of the members I was warned about.  Nevertheless, I wish everyone well and I hope that we can all learn to be more tolerant, compassionate, and forgiving without being swayed by the ego's urges to condemn and criticize from unwholesome and one-sided perspectives. 

EDIT: I would kindly ask that all other members here with any opinion of my behavior here on this forum please send me a personal message expressing how you feel and how you perceive my behavior.  I believe this will give me a broader perspective of how my activities are being perceived and will allow me to better discern whether or not change is needed.  This may potentially be of benefit to everyone here.  If you think I have behaved appropriately, please share.  If you think otherwise, please share as well.  I would grant anyone else here the same courtesy, so I ask you to please bestow it upon me for the betterment of myself and the forum.  Thanks in advance, much love to all.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:40:58 AM by VinceField »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
Try not to make it about you too much.

How is Red anyway?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:57:44 AM by Dharmic Tui »

VinceField

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
I believe that your relentless need to fabricate judgements that my words are self-centered or of a negative nature is a display of your own egoistic behavior.  Can you not control that little voice in the back of your head that urges you to make these false, needless, fabricated remarks at the expense of others? 

I haven't made this too much about myself, you have, with your tireless fabricated judgements directed at me.  I am simply trying to resolve the situation by attempting to gain a balanced perspective and make appropriate changes if needed.  The fact that you cannot see this may very well be a testament to your deluded perspective of the situation.

I believe you can do better, I believe that you are better than this.  Time to put your Buddhist philosophies into action my friend.  I wish you well.       

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
Not sure what the point of keeping it open if the main subject is completely censored, but ok.  Perhaps a display of power.  Although you were obviously advertising your app, I felt it was a relevant product and it was free of charge ...

We don't accept advertising, spam or links to paid products or advertising paid sites. As it's obvious to you that Remo  was advertising I don't know why you are making so much noise about a policy you and Remo both signed up to. His app may be free now but he already stated a paid version is planned so he is using this forum to promote a business.

It's got nothing to do with any display of power. The link was removed immediately it was spotted. Additional information deleted once I notice it had been overlooked.

I would kindly ask that all other members here with any opinion of my behavior here on this forum please send me a personal message expressing how you feel and how you perceive my behavior

I perceive your behaviour to be not conducive to wholesome discussion on the forum.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »
Vince why are you loking for fights in every post? Every post you write in ends with 5 pages of useless arguing.

... and it is not my place to say how these things should be taken care of.

Perhaps the first true words you have spoken here. It is not your place, but still you have to make remarks like "Perhaps a display of power" about the removal of the URL. You acknowledged the forum rules and it is not your place to say anything about the advertising rules of this forum. Yet still you have to start an unnecessary discussion ...

And I'm not alone. So before you reply to this thread stop and contemplate your reply please. If you throw 1000 words of self justification at it you've missed the point.

VinceField

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
I perceive your behaviour to be not conducive to wholesome discussion on the forum.

You have charged me with demonstrating such behavior in the past.  One time you did this, you ended up apologizing.  The last time you did this, I sent you a personal message because I was unable to publicly respond due to you closing the thread, and after demonstrating exactly why your perceptions of my behavior were inaccurate fabrications, you had nothing to say, even after challenging you to support your claims with evidence. 

When others have to reach out to me through private messages because they are afraid to speak their mind openly due to fear of persecution, that is a sign that there is unwholesome behavior afoot.  It has been confirmed by others that my behavior has been nothing but polite, inquisitive, and healthy.  It is sometimes hard to discern attitudes and motivations through text alone, so it is understandable that misunderstandings will occur.  Not everyone has the same opinion as you, however, so that is something to keep in mind.

Regarding your forum rules, I have no problem with them, although your enforcement of them was rather puzzling for reasons I have already addressed and I simply spoke my mind.  No harm done.  Like I said, I'm not worried about it. 

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »

You have charged me with demonstrating such behavior in the past.  One time you did this, you ended up apologizing.

Yes I apologised. You have apologised to me twice this week .

The last time you did this, I sent you a personal message because I was unable to publicly respond due to you closing the thread, and after demonstrating exactly why your perceptions of my behavior were inaccurate fabrications, you had nothing to say, even after challenging you to support your claims with evidence. 

According to you they are inaccurate fabrications.

When others have to reach out to me through private messages because they are afraid to speak their mind openly due to fear of persecution, that is a sign that there is unwholesome behavior afoot.

Then you will agree that when members contact me privately complaining of your behaviour it is a sign off unwholesome behaviour afoot.

To any member messaging you in "fear of persecution" (you do have a flair for dramatic manipulative language don't you?) I can only say this: if you really fear persecution please PM me to discuss why or what persecution you fear. If you want to raise your concerns in a thread do so, or PM Vivek or Crystal Palace with your thoughts. Finally, if you really "fear persecution" as Vince suggests I think it would be wise to ask yourself if being a member of this forum is beneficial and wholesome for you and your practice. It would seem strange to voluntarily remain a member of a forum where you fear persecution - nobody is forced to spend time here.

It has been confirmed by others that my behavior has been nothing but polite, inquisitive, and healthy.

Then I have no idea why you apologised twice to me (apologies I did not ask for).

Regarding your forum rules, I have no problem with them, ...

Then I do not understand why you are complaining about them.

DT has alluded before to similarities between the way you post/present yourself here and other people with whom this type of issue has arisen in the past.

Selective quoting and ignoring things that don't agree with your version of reality is a common theme. Posting long wordy posts that go on and on is a common theme. Assuming you have nothing to learn from people who raise your posting as problematic is a common theme. Blaming the other is a common theme. High levels of passive aggressive behaviour is a common theme.

I don't see you presenting yourself here in a balanced fashion. Several people have now publicly posted that your contribution here is problematic: describing you as a troll, as argumentative.

You seem to think all these people are deluded. I can tell you from experience that for each person prepared to say publicly what they think there are many times as many who will not, just because they do not want to get drawn into a dumb argument with you.

You change practice weekly then talk like you're a master. I do not think the people complaining about your behaviour are deluded. Most are bored of you and see your style as problematic. It's old ground we've walked on before and the epiphany DT refers to seems close: either you're going to go off in a self-righteous strop or, if your behaviour doesn't change, if coming here to read your essays continues to feel like an exercise in futility, then there will be little left to say except thank you, goodbye and may the Dhamma be with you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:32:32 PM by Matthew »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
The fact that you cannot see this may very well be a testament to your deluded perspective of the situation.
A good half a dozen (maybe more) forum members have publicly spoken out about your attitude and posting style. One has PM'd you in private to reinforce your position.

Just so we're both clear, you're trying to tell me this is all in my head, and there's nothing wrong with how you've behaved on this forum?