Author Topic: Story Time  (Read 1844 times)

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
Story Time
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
Hello everyone! I've always loved age old stories with morals. They are fun and insightful.

I thought I would share this one because I've noticed this forum tends to get a little tense from time to time. (What forum doesn't?)

If you have a great moral story to share, I look forward to reading it!

The Messiah

There was once an old stone monastery tucked away in the middle of a picturesque forest. For many years people would make the significant detour required to seek out this monastery. The peaceful spirit of the place was healing for the soul.

In recent years however fewer and fewer people were making their way to the monastery. The monks had grown jealous and petty in their relationships with one another, and the animosity was felt by those who visited.

The Abbot of the monastery was distressed by what was happening, and poured out his heart to his good friend Jeremiah. Jeremiah was a wise old Jewish rabbi. Having heard the Abbot’s tale of woe he asked if he could offer a suggestion. “Please do” responded the Abbot. “Anything you can offer.”

Jeremiah said that he had received a vision, an important vision, and the vision was this: the messiah was among the ranks of the monks. The Abbot was flabbergasted. One among his own was the Messiah! Who could it be? He knew it wasn’t himself, but who? He raced back to the monastery and shared his exciting news with his fellow monks.

The monks grew silent as they looked into each other’s faces. Was this one the Messiah?

From that day on the mood in the monastery changed. Joseph and Ivan started talking again, neither wanting to be guilty of slighting the Messiah. Pierre and Naibu left behind their frosty anger and sought out each other’s forgiveness. The monks began serving each other, looking out for opportunities to assist, seeking healing and forgiveness where offence had been given.

As one traveler, then another, found their way to the monastery word soon spread about the remarkable spirit of the place. People once again took the journey to the monastery and found themselves renewed and transformed. All because those monks knew the Messiah was among them.

------

And a quote from Thomas Merton to finish it off:
Then it was as if I suddenly saw
the secret beauty of their hearts,
the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire
nor self-knowledge can reach,
the core of their reality, the person that each one is
in God’s eyes.

If only they could see themselves as they really are.
If only we could see each other that way all the time,
there would be no more war,
no more hatred, no more cruelty, no more greed…

I suppose the big problem would be
that we would fall down and worship each other.
Regards,
Tobin

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: Story Time
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Tobin - I appreciate reading it.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
Anytime. :) One of my favorite parts of Dharma talks are the fables. I'm always on the lookout for new ones.
Regards,
Tobin

bomega

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
Tobin, Thank you so much. Especially for that Thomas Merton quote. I find myself thinking it during the day. Especially when I am ticked off at someone, and it brings me back down. *hug*