Author Topic: Macklemore song  (Read 1921 times)

yossarian

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Macklemore song
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
Semantics aside, this is pretty awesome...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZwZ5xBye4

Any advice on embedding??
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:51:22 PM by yossarian »

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
Re: Macklemore song
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
Oh god, that voice. lol I just came back from a Goenka retreat. I won't soon forget what he sounds like.

It seems that you can't use a secured connection when translating youtube urls, so just stick with http:// instead of https://. Hope that helps. :)

Macklemore - Vipassana (Ryan Lewis Remix)
Macklemore seems to touch on a lot of interesting topics, from equal rights to enlightenment. I really enjoy him even though rap is my least favorite genre of music.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:32:49 PM by Tobin »
Regards,
Tobin

yossarian

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »

Thanks for that.

Congrats on completing your retreat! How was it? Where was it?

I'm going back for my 2nd in August pending employer approval. Honestly, I'm equally between excitement and reservation.

"Macklemore seems to touch on a lot of interesting topics, from equal rights to enlightenment. I really enjoy him even though rap is my least favorite genre of music."

me too, to all of that... I like to call him "lame white guy hip-hop" :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:08:58 PM by yossarian »

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:40:14 AM »

Thanks for that.

Congrats on completing your retreat! How was it? Where was it?

I'm going back for my 2nd in August pending employer approval. Honestly, I'm equally between excitement and reservation.

"Macklemore seems to touch on a lot of interesting topics, from equal rights to enlightenment. I really enjoy him even though rap is my least favorite genre of music."

me too, to all of that... I like to call him "lame white guy hip-hop" :D

Thanks Yossarian,

It was my first retreat. I'll say that I absolutely loved Goenka's discourses. I couldn't peel my eyes off him. He was charismatic, spiritually intelligent, down to earth, and just a pleasure to listen to. The technique on the other hand just wasn't my cup of tea. I was the only one in a class of 30 people to have a complete mental breakdown. Of course, everyone was very kind and accommodating, so that made it much easier.

I wouldn't do another retreat that forces a particular technique or enforced determined sits. I quickly found myself loathing being told what to do and when to do it (I know, I know, I'll work on it). It was a good experience, just not one I want to do again.

Is your retreat Goenka as well? If so, I applaud your effort to do it a second time. Will you be serving, or just sitting? I can understand the reservation if it falls under any of the reasons above.

I wish you luck! 100 hours of meditation is A LOT OF FRICKIN' MEDIATION.
Regards,
Tobin

yossarian

• Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Is your retreat Goenka as well? If so, I applaud your effort to do it a second time. Will you be serving, or just sitting? I can understand the reservation if it falls under any of the reasons above.

I wish you luck! 100 hours of meditation is A LOT OF FRICKIN' MEDIATION.

Sorry you didn't have a good time, at least you stuck it out. Hopefully you will find somewhere that better meets your needs.
 I sat my first 10 day Goenka retreat in Georgia last year then served on a 3 day at the same center. As I said, hopefully I'll be back in August to sit another 10 day.  Last time I was really dead set on working hard and I pushed myself way too far, too fast and almost had a nervous breakdown, so I can relate. This time I imagine it will be difficult because it isn't "new" anymore and I'll be battling apathy instead of desire.  ::)