Author Topic: Re: Meditation: Some basics for beginners.  (Read 11781 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meditation: Some basics for beginners.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
Because people are deluded and greedy.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »
Tara, if you're interested theres an excellent book on the subject - Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg.  After I'll stop recommending books if not you're going to think I've got shares in amazon  :-[

I didn't think that, I actually immediately thought how many books has he got!!!

how can it be that this has been so ignored and complete ignorance and materialism favoured instead???
I don't think it has been ignored.  but I think the reason for materialism being favoured instead is human nature the desire for instant gratification, it is a lot easier to go and buy something, even if you couldn't afford it or you don't need it, and feel better then sit for an hour and be aware of your breath. And not even wait for the unknown benefit.
Also,  people in power wouldn't like it if the common man woke up. So they blind everyone with adverts telling you what you must have, like your life depends on it, So they keep everyone under control.Most people are hypnotised and to be honest if you want an easier life join the crowd.

I am off now to get the new must-have-for-this-season jimmy choo shoes!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:37:00 PM by Green Tara »
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Paul

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »
Yes completely Matthew, and also very stupid.  Life becomes so much better as we start shaking off delusion and greed (although in my case I know they're still alive and kicking just a little weaker than before), but it seems to take so much to get us to open our eyes and see that simple fact.  It took me a depression and even then it was pure luck that the right book landed in my lap.  It seems incredible that the human race, who can send rockets up to the moon and build skyscrapers isn't even capable of looking after its most prime need - happiness - in a recognised, tried and tested way, and instead searches for happiness in Ferraris and Luxury Yachts.

Paul

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »
I didn't think that, I actually immediately thought how many books has he got!!!
Not really, I just talk a lot about the few I've got  :)  It also comes from my family life, if I can't spend all evening meditating at least I can read books; I can't stand the TV anyway.
I don't think it has been ignored.  but I think the reason for materialism being favoured instead is human nature the desire for instant gratification, it is a lot easier to go and buy something, even if you couldn't afford it or you don't need it, and feel better then sit for an hour and be aware of your breath. And not even wait for the unknown benefit.
Also,  people in power wouldn't like it if the common man woke up. So they blind everyone with adverts telling you what you must have, like your life depends on it, So they keep everyone under control.Most people are hypnotised and to be honest if you want an easier life join the crowd.
Yes, I agree with the instant gratification.  And to be totally honest, if a course existed where you could gain enlightenment after one weeks study and it cost 500 Euros, I'd probably do it so all I can say really is that I seek gratification outside the material aspect, so I've still a lot of conditioning to unravel too  :P

As for the people in power, yes they are no doubt intelligent in a sense, but equally deluded too in believeing that they can find happiness in holding onto their power.  I was watching a manager in the company I work for do a presentation the other day. He has climbed 'high' in his career, and is a true shark.  But as I watched him doing his best, behind the image he tries to present if you look honestly you can see that he just a very tired, confused and bewildered person, whose always looking over his back waiting for the guy he trod on 5 years ago to get his revenge, never at ease.  Its written in the physical symtoms of his pre-ageing face and greying hair.  Yet he can never escape, he pushed by his ego and perhaps his wife and children too to earn more-and-more to maintain and enhance their salubrious lifestyle.  To my surprise I really felt compassion for the guy. 

Green Tara

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
to be totally honest, if a course existed where you could gain enlightenment after one weeks study and it cost 500 Euros, I'd probably do it

Actually I found one. Do you remember the thread I posted about the use of Binaural beat technology, I found a site that advertise the technology as “ meditate like a Zen master at a push of a button ) how about that. If only the Zen masters knew they didn’t need to sit and go through all that pain. If the drug establishment really caught up with the benefits of  mindfulness they would invent a tablet to increase your awareness and open the gate to Nirvana.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:06:42 PM by Green Tara »
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:58 AM »
If the drug establishment really caught up with the benefits of  mindfulness they will invented a tablet to increase your awareness and open the gate to Nirvana.

Then patent it and keep it on the shelf ... because enlightened people live enlightened healthy lives. And would not make good customers for ... drug companies. Much like the ever-lasting light bulb that was invented decades ago and instantly patented by one of the biggest light bulb manufacturers because they realised it wasn't good for business (screw the environment where is my $$$$?).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:05:47 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Green Tara

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
[]

Then patent it and keep it on the shelf ... because enlightened people live enlightened healthy lives. And would not make good customers for ... drug companies.

Good point

Paul

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
Lol, Tara I came accross the one about meditating deeper than I Zen master too, unfortunately I gave them my email and they've been spamming me ever since!  The spams are however unintentionally hilarious, here's the subject line of the one I received yesterday:

"What is Enlightenment? Here, I'll show you..."  In fact its a book that's on special offer, who would have thought?

I guess it is only a matter of time before some corp decides to try to exploit this; there are many individuals out there doing it already sadly, like the person who sent me that email.  Humanity really is in a sad, sad state. I'm sure we'd be horrified if we knew all the patents for cures for illnesses or environmental solutions that are being sat on by greedy corporations.

Green Tara

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »

I was watching a manager in the company I work for do a presentation the other day. He has climbed 'high' in his career, and is a true shark.  But as I watched him doing his best, behind the image he tries to present if you look honestly you can see that he just a very tired, confused and bewildered person, whose always looking over his back waiting for the guy he trod on 5 years ago to get his revenge, never at ease.   Yet he can never escape, he pushed by his ego and perhaps his wife and children too to earn more-and-more to maintain and enhance their salubrious lifestyle. 

Paul,
Your boss is another string puppet, I was talking about the real  “world’s managers".

Green Tara

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
Lol, Tara I came accross the one about meditating deeper than I Zen master too, unfortunately I gave them my email and they've been spamming me ever since!  The spams are however unintentionally hilarious, here's the subject line of the one I received yesterday:

"What is Enlightenment? Here, I'll show you..."  In fact its a book that's on special offer, who would have thought?

I received a similar email from Bill Harrison the guy involved the film “the secret” it says

If you have any interest in consciousness, spirituality,
personal growth, and development of our species,
you SIMPLY MUST subscribe to this amazing
publication.

You are right some people are already cashing on the idea of enlightenment.
To be honest I personally used to buy into that stuff. Years ago I used to think if I just read that book, I will get there, If I just go to that retreat I will know the truth etc etc….
Now I tend to turn my back on most statements that have an absolute or certainty in them.
From my experience in life there are very very few things that are certain

Paul

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 10:30:01 AM »
OK Tara I see what you mean, effectively not the same animal there we're looking deep into the lower levels of pond life!

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
From my experience in life there are very very few things that are certain

Very few. Everything will change - that is one. But it is the cause of all the others lack of certainty perhaps.

Paul

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
Lol we posted at the same time. For your last post - yes, its the same guy!  I never bought any of that stuff, but I must admit that there are a few books on the bookshelf that I'm slightly embarrassed about  :)

Now it seems more simple, we just meditate to calm our minds and observe until we see through our delusion and free ourselves from our conditioning.  I can't imagine that there could ever be a quick fix for that, only in time can we reach the calm and wisdom to attain our goals.

Green Tara

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 10:50:24 AM »

Very few. Everything will change - that is one. But it is the cause of all the others lack of certainty perhaps.

Yes very few, you mentioned one, the others I am certain this body will decay, I am certain I will have pain,  difficulty, pleasure and success in my life, I am certain that my suffering comes from aversion or craving. I am certain that no one will ever be able to video and audience with God and show it to the world to convince them of his or her existence.

Green Tara

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
I must admit that there are a few books on the bookshelf that I'm slightly embarrassed about  :)

like what?

Now it seems more simple, we just meditate to calm our minds and observe until we see through our delusion and free ourselves from our conditioning.

is it though?!!! :-\

Matthew

• Staff
Re: Re: Meditation: Some basics for beginners.
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »
I've added the off the cushion aspect to the main topic using the Brahmavihara. I've split the discussion here to a separate topic to simpliify. More discussion, suggestions for improvement, etc always gracefully received with thanks.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew