Author Topic: Pariyatti...  (Read 4721 times)

Juan

Pariyatti...
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:06:19 PM »
OK! So there is a HUGE Dhamma expanding movement all over the world in U Ba Khin's tradition...

BUT!! Our friends from pariyatti think they're too good to follow the phylosophy so what they do is lucrate and sell anything you can imagine from the morning chantings to all kinds of books!! 

When the buddha reached nibbana he passed through a period in which he was doubtful whether to go back to the ignorant humans and teach what he had realized, he thought they wouldn't listen, he was sure they would not learn...

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Pariyatti...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:27:06 AM »
When the buddha reached nibbana he passed through a period in which he was doubtful whether to go back to the ignorant humans and teach what he had realized, he thought they wouldn't listen, he was sure they would not learn...

Prove him wrong. Don't worry too much about the Pariyatti or any other fools who try and make a buck from the Dhamma - concentrate instead on your own path and progress.

I spent a long time being annoyed and angry at a "Pureland Buddhist" organisation I became involved with. I realised after a while that their philosophy was fundamentally Christianity dressed in Japanese robes and that the chanting and other devices they used were akin to mind control. The whole set up appears to be for the ego-gratification of the founder - a somewhat famous British "Buddhist" - and his wife.

Eventually I realised I was generating a lot of negative states of mind in myself and changing nothing about them. I learned to let it go. Just yesterday I saw another refugee from their community, recently escaped. She is still clinging unknowingly to them, looking for the love neither they or her parents gave her. I explained that it seemed she was so clinging because that is a negative state of mind she is stuck in - seeking love from those she knows will disappoint her - because that is where she feels comfortable - that is her "zone".

I would strongly suggest you do Metta Bhavana or Tonglen practice for the Pariyatti if you are familiar with either technique. Do not misunderstand these techniques - they have no effect AT ALL on the recipients of your loving kindness meditations - BUT they are very effective at breaking down the bonds of dislike or even hatred inside you and that lay behind your feelings towards their activities.

When people misunderstand the Dhamma so deeply eventually one must arrive at a place of equanimity towards them or your feelings will be a barrier to your own progress - no one elses.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:32:33 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Ben

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »
Hi Juan

With great respect, I disagree with you about Pariyatti.  There's nothing wrong with selling Dhamma books to people.  Books, videos and audio CDs all cost money to produce and distribute.  The revenue that Pariyatti makes from selling Dhamma books provides some people with right livelihood.

I believe if we didn't have outlets such as Pariyatti and www.dhammabooks.com, we would have less access to Dhamma materials.
Kind regards

Ben

Juan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Hi Ben
So I think that you also disagree with SN Goenka and the fact that meditation courses don't cost...

Dhamma should not be a means to make Right livelihood, otherwise, people with no money would have no access to this extraordinary gift.

There are several places where you can find dhamma materials in the web and they are for free like: www.accesstoinsight.org
or
www.forestdhammabooks.com

Dhamma is a gift.  ;D

scarlet

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »
Jaun,
Thank you for posting the links.  I have bookmarked the pages and will be doing some reading there.  I don't know much about mediation yet and there are so very many things for sale on the Internet, and although I don't mind giving a few dollars for valuable info, I am afraid of getting ripped off.  One of the things that drew me to Vipassana was that there is no charge for the course.  I was going to do a course a few months ago, but chickened out when it came time to make travel arrangements.  I hope to attend one in the springtime that will be closer to my home.

And to everyone else on this forum,
Friends and loved ones that know of my plans to do a course have been concerned that I was going to go off and be brainwashed or join a cult, and if it wasn't for this and the forum that preceded it, I would have much less information to judge by, so thanks to all for being here.

Scarlet

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »
Friends and loved ones that know of my plans to do a course have been concerned that I was going to go off and be brainwashed or join a cult, and if it wasn't for this and the forum that preceded it, I would have much less information to judge by, so thanks to all for being here.

Scarlet

It's what we are here for Scarlet. When you have tasted the truth passing it on is the natural thing to do. And have no worries about brainwashing. I have been around the circuit a bit and I can tell you this: Some "Buddhist" organisations brainwash people as do some "Christian" organisations, etc.

Studying vipassana on a Goenka course is AS FAR AWAY from that as you could possibly get. And I have not been on one ... yet.

But, I am booked on one for end november because with eight years of serious Buddhist meditation practice behind me and having done considerable research, I know theirs is the best technique, the most original (i.e. closest to the Buddha's method), the most un-cultish organisation and providing the most self-empowering education you will ever receive. It is totally non-sectarian, non-religious and nothing to be afraid of.

Maybe show someone in your family the material from their website about how courses are run and why and they will be reassured. Otherwise the fact they will not be able to contact you during the course might play on their minds and cause them unwarranted concern and anguish.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:33:35 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:06:51 AM »

Scarlet

Scarlet, it is good for you to be aware.
I had the same concerns and can safely say that going was one of the best and maybe most challenging
experiences I have ever had.  The fact that no money was involved, there was separation of the sexes
and absolutely no touching on the campus made it a pure and comfortable situation.

I keep checking out the center http://www.patapa.dhamma.org/ you said you wanted to go to and while
much smaller than the one in Shelburne, MA. it's affiliated and linked to the http://www.dhamma.org/.

Please everyone else verify what you think of that location, too.

The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
Hi Ben
So I think that you also disagree with SN Goenka and the fact that meditation courses don't cost...

Dhamma should not be a means to make Right livelihood, otherwise, people with no money would have no access to this extraordinary gift.

There are several places where you can find dhamma materials in the web and they are for free like: www.accesstoinsight.org
or
www.forestdhammabooks.com

Dhamma is a gift.  ;D

Hi Juan
The fact that the ten-day courses are funded by donation has nothing to do with the economics of publishing books and audio-visual material.  I think you will find that Goenkaji would actually agree with me, afterall  Vipassana Research Institute publishes a lot of books, DVDs and audio and they are distributed via pariyatti and dhammabooks.com.  Even when you buy the materials direct from VRI, they don't give them away.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling Dhamma books as a form of right livelihood.  In fact it is not only right livelihood, but a livelihood that produces great merit through assisting other people with their study and practice.

I've never found any support for a prohibition on charging for the production and distribution of Dhamma literature.  So I am interested in your idea that it is not ok to sell Dhamma literature and audio-visual.   

I like Access to Insight too.  Its a great resource, but the vast majority of the sutta translations are by Venerable Thanissaro who, in my opinion, is inferior to Ven Nanamoli and Ven Bodhi.  In studying the Tipitaka and early commentarial literature it is generally a good idea to have more than one translation.

Ben

Ben

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 02:16:28 PM »

Scarlet

Scarlet, it is good for you to be aware.
I had the same concerns and can safely say that going was one of the best and maybe most challenging
experiences I have ever had.  The fact that no money was involved, there was separation of the sexes
and absolutely no touching on the campus made it a pure and comfortable situation.

I keep checking out the center http://www.patapa.dhamma.org/ you said you wanted to go to and while
much smaller than the one in Shelburne, MA. it's affiliated and linked to the http://www.dhamma.org/.

Please everyone else verify what you think of that location, too.

Dear Mettajoey and Scarlett

I wouldn't hesitate to go.  I've attended around 30 retreats in this tradition since 1985 in Australia, New Zealand and India.  I've also 'served' (volunteer worker) on a number of courses both in Australia and India.  I've never had an adverse course experience and the courses from one country to the next are run exactly the same.   There is no manipulation, no guru worship, or personality cult or conversion from one religion to another.  What you are going to learn is a very effective mental training technique that helps you in your daily life in developing concentration and the faculty to eradicate negativities.  Its very positive.

The course centres have in my experience been well situated and the accommodation basic but comfortable.  I am close with one meditator in Chicago but she's done the bulk of her courses in Washington State and California.
If you have any concerns - whatsoever - call Centre Management either at the Georgia Centre, or the main US Centre in Shelbourne Falls, MA.

Also, don't forget to check out the main website: www.dhamma.org
Kind regards

Ben

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »
One of the things that drew me to Vipassana was that there is no charge for the course.

Oh yes this was so enjoyable to my "western" mind! I came to the course, got a nice room, a clean bed, excellent food, good advice to thousands of questions, oh, and of course I was taught this wonderful technique that really shifted me somewhat higher! And when it was leaving time, I decided not to give a single cent, because I thought I'd make some sort of deal of it again. Nobody stood at the door with a collection bowl. Nobody tried to sell me anything (although some books were offered in the most neutral kind of way). Nobody wrote me begging letters afterwards. There was no pressure in any way!

It was a present!!!

I was deeply impressed. To make sure, I waited some months ... no posts with the polite invitation to give anything.
Now I transfer some money every now and then (whenever it is possible). I am sure now that it is not part of a deal, but it is a present from me.

That's how people should live. I hope you'll attend your course when you feel your time has come.

:), Stefan
anicca

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
Maybe I should ad my tupence (you english say 2pence? heheheh ... in germany we say "mustard" ...)

So I ad my mustard to this and agree a little with you all! Dhamma is a present, a gift we all received for free. It should be passed on for free. But on the other hand ... I'd like to send you all material there is for free! but I can't pay for the paper, for the cd's, for the printing, for the distribution ect. I am convinved that the Pariyatti guys are not rockefeller either ... in the spirit of my last post I see my "payment" for the books as Dana. What they do with it is their "problem" - I hope they use it for printing some more books! But if they`d buy a rolls royce from this money ... it's their problem, I am at peace with it.

And two guys I missed for quite a long time ... Ben & Juan, where are you? I miss your posts!

Metta, Stefan
anicca