Author Topic: More body awareness and dis-identification of the mind  (Read 1928 times)

KingMe

• Write something about yourself here
    • S. N. Goenka
More body awareness and dis-identification of the mind
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
I've been able to keep some of my awareness on my inner body while in writing, conversation, and just sitting. I haven't had this ability to this extent before. I can still get knocked out of my body awareness, but it's so much more peaceful. I'm less reactionary. I can notice my thoughts and feelings more as objects in awareness.

Now, when I come back to this state from being lost in my mind for a moment, I realize how unconscious I was. I see how I've lived so much of my life in the more unconscious state, and how the ego is running amok, causing misery.

I often try to "figure" this out, which is the mind, but I'm interested in others experiences regarding this. I feel more motivated than ever to keep up my practice.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: More body awareness and dis-identification of the mind
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »
It sounds as though you are learning a lot. Keep it up!
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:00:51 AM »
What the OP wrote resonates with me. I've been engaged with meditation for nearly a year, but only two weeks ago did the Satipathanna body awareness (while going about daily affairs) technique. Mind blowing results. "Insights" just keep arising as a result of noticing how the mind reacts to stimulus. Typically I get several insights a day.

To give one example, I have despaired of ever getting rid of anger. I'm at srotapanna level, and moving on requires dropping anger. It was impossible. I live in Kuala Lumpur, and driving in the city causes a great deal of anger, mostly at the stupidity of other motorists. A few days ago, a car abruptly cut into my lane less than 2 metres away from my bumper. This is a common occurrence over here. It triggered the usual hormone secretions that normally lead to anger, but a voice in my head said to me, in my own voice, "What if you just did what you have to do to deal with this, without the anger? How does the anger help with anything?"

Then, the next day, a white Mercedes cut into my lane abruptly (did I mention it happens all the time over here?) and all I did was brake. I just did what had to be done, but did not have an emotional reaction to it. Right after, I was elated, for it was the first time ever that anger did not arise despite a suitable stimulus. It was not a suppression of anger. Anger did not even arise.

Every day, one by one, these things(defilements?) get neutralized.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:08:05 AM by Jeremy »

Jeremy

• Vipsssana
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:15:26 AM »
Let me write a bit more. Two weeks ago when I started making myself conscious of my body while going about daily affairs, it felt forced, unnecessary, and unnatural. It was also strenuous.

There were frequent lapses. I would only notice I had become unconscious when I was again conscious.

I had doubts about this technique, when in a moment of clarity, a voice said to me, "What do you prefer, conscious, or lost in unconsciousness?" It then became apparent to me that being aware should be the default state, and that it is indeed better than being unaware.

I notice more and more the moments when I would become unaware. For instance, while eating. I would lose myself then.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Jeremy. Your story gives a very clear picture of how it can work.

For the general reader: In other spiritual disciplines, someone might try to seek out this "voice". One might try to connect to a spirit guide or a wise person inside. That is not so with samatha meditation and it would be contrary to vipassana. One allows insights to happen - one does not chase insights. And insights can take different forms. It does not need to take the form of a text.

Again, Jeremy, shanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.