Author Topic: What do you thinks happens when we die?  (Read 2276 times)

PeasantProphet

• Write something about yourself here
    • Beginner
What do you thinks happens when we die?
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:10 AM »
Been up late thinking about it, after I watched a Alan Watts video saying something along the lines of their can't be nothing after death because "NOTHING" is not an experience. Made sense until I over thought it and came to the conclusion that NOTHING is a experience? What do people on this board believe happens?

Marc

Re: What do you thinks happens when we die?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
When people say it happens nothing they dnt mean that you go on experiencing nothingness, you stop experiencing anything whatsoever.

Our experiencing is surely a product of brain activity. If the brain stops functioning I dont think there is anything left
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:45:39 AM by Marc »

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
If I die il report back if I can..

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
It all depends on how you look at it.

When a person dies, the perspective changes a bit. That's all. It is like closing one eye, the view changes to a slightly different angle. Similarly, when you close one ear, the sound perception changes a bit.

It is a misconception that the life on earth has evolved to where it is today. It is the universe that is evolving and developed sense organs through our bodies. Through our ego, we think we exist independently of the outside world. It is the universe that sees, hears, smells, touches, and feels through our bodies. So, when we die, life goes on....with a slightly different perspective.

More food for thought I suppose, but these thoughts are not worth losing sleep over....or to die for. :)

Enjoy and celebrate life! Stop worrying about after life!
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
I love thinking about this. I'm always blown away by the fact that I was born into a generation where such huge changes are taking place (i.e. technology). Coincidence? I think not. Just another thing that makes me believe we are reborn to experience the complete fluidity of this universes journey.
Regards,
Tobin

Obol

• whatever works
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
This is kind of a non-question. I'll explain my view.

'You' don't feel or experience anything after you die, because the 'you', the subjective observing entity, doesn't exist.

The self identity which constitutes 'you' disappears when the substrate on which it subsists decays. Meaning brain-death.

Everything else continues (I assume), but it's not possible to talk about what happens to 'you', because to construct sentences describing the activities of an agent, you need a grammatical subject, and for a grammatical subject, you need something which self identifies as a subject, which is the exact thing which has disappeared after death.

Alexander

• Anapanasati
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
I still don't quite understand the concept of anatta with reference to rebirth. If no self continues to the next realm, but the state of mind dictates the next state, then what constitutes this state of mind?

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »
I still don't quite understand the concept of anatta with reference to rebirth. If no self continues to the next realm, but the state of mind dictates the next state, then what constitutes this state of mind?

Sperm and an egg.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

rob

• Write something about yourself here
    • vipassana
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
My believe is that the soul or self or i is an illusion created by the brain when we were very little. As you know the first 3 months of the baby it is not self-conscious. Perhaps when we die we become part of possible universal property conscious. Reason for all life in the universe.