Author Topic: Candle meditation  (Read 2038 times)

jay

• Write something about yourself here
    • Mindfullness
Candle meditation
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
Hi All,

My first post.

How many of you use a candle for meditation ?

I was just wondering whether when becoming absorbed into a candle there should still be a focus on the breath as with mindfullness meditation or whether the focus should be entirely on the flame and the breath shouldnt be a focus ?

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Candle meditation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
Hello Jay, may I ask why you prefer to use an external object for meditation?
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

PimonratC

• Theravada
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
Is that Kasina ?

jay

• Mindfullness
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
Hello Jay, may I ask why you prefer to use an external object for meditation?

Just something I have read about and I have tried it, it seems to work really well with me as an alternate to meditation solely on the breath. I just wanted to be sure on whether the focus should be on both the breath and candle or just the candle. I did read that saying the word candle on each in and out breath almost as a mantra works for deepening so I guess concentration should be mainly on the breath with the candle as just a visual object.

Just wanted to check.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 05:54:34 AM »
Hello Jay,

Meditation is about getting to deeply know your own "being" so if you are using a candle as object this would certainly benefit from maintaining awareness of bodily sensations created by breathing ... also there will come a time when you have developed some level of concentration that demands dropping the candle and turning that concentration to inner experience, both physical and mental.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

jay

• Mindfullness
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Matthew,

thank you for your response. based on your answer, I would like to ask, do you only do meditation on the breath or do you practice other techniques ?

When using the breath I find it hard to follow the sensation inside as I dont breath heavy enough ? having the candle to become absorbed in as well as being aware of the breath I find tends to work for me. Maybe as I develop I will better be able to follow the breath, I have been meditating for around 8 months now and have seen differences within myself so something must be going well.

I came across the candle technique amongst others in a book called learn to meditate which I found very helpful.

I am attending a learn to meditate course this weekend so hopefully more of my questions will be answered. Did you learn yourself to meditate or do you think courses etc are necessary to study ?

Obol

• whatever works
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
Hi Jay,

For breath meditation, I cannot recommend Thanissaro Bhikku's dhamma talks highly enough - very helpful for breath meditation. Have a look:

http://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html

Particularly I would recommend the 'Meditations' collection of talks for breath meditation.