Author Topic: Always feeling nostalgic lately  (Read 1346 times)

PeasantProphet

• Write something about yourself here
    • Beginner
Always feeling nostalgic lately
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
The nostalgic bug has bitten me as of late. Thinking about the past and all the good times and how simple it was when I was younger and remembering things that brought out the best in me. Now I think about how people I knew or know grew apart or changed , moved away or passed on. Is there a reason the nostalgic memories have been on my mind so much lately? Any theories?

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Always feeling nostalgic lately
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »
Do you have a regular meditative practice like Vipassana, Samatha etc? If you  do, and you started experiencing these feelings recently without any known cause whatsoever, it could be do to the practice. Deep memories do get stirred because of continued practice but eventually they get integrated if meditation is continued.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Always feeling nostalgic lately
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »
Hello PP,

Do you have a regular meditative practice like Vipassana, Samatha etc? If you  do, and you started experiencing these feelings recently without any known cause whatsoever, it could be do to the practice. Deep memories do get stirred because of continued practice but eventually they get integrated if meditation is continued.

Vivek speaks wisely here ... Don't forget that Sati ("mindfulness ") is synonymous with remembering ... Good practice leads to re-experiencing and re-examining past experiences .. the thing is to allow yourself to fully face them, learn if there is some aspect of unresolved tension/emotion (either within these memories or contrasting with who you are now), and if so "own it" - which is the route to letting go off it.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~