Author Topic: CriticalThinking as Experiencing  (Read 2089 times)

sinewaves

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
CriticalThinking as Experiencing
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
Hello.

I was keen to seek opinions regarding whether or not critical thinking is a contradiction to the practice.
I tend to enjoy contemplation after engaging in something, be it a film, book, piece of music etc...
This contemplation is not to assess how good something was, but more what certain aspects could mean, to get a better understanding etc... This contemplation is not driven by the ego i.e. to prove my intelligence, but more to engage in skilful, intelligent thinking - think being presented with a maths problem. To me it is another way of experiencing, but I'm interested to hear other opinions. Please note that such contemplation only takes place during engagement in subjective material i.e. critical thinking is not stimulated when eating, drinking etc...

Re: CriticalThinking as Experiencing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
contemplation on things that are of importance is good.... contemplation on movies and stuff is waste of time, even if you find something good in it you cant adapt it easily into your life without practice. Well there are contradictions to the above statement as some have achieved enlightenment just by contemplating. But it is a rarest of the rare case and one has to walk thinking one cant engage in intellectual interactions untill one has a peace of mind.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:25:30 AM »
Hello sinewaves,

Critical thinking is not contrary to the practice, it is inherent within the eightfold path. First tame and cleanse the mind, then use it as the tool it is - instead of being dragged around by it.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
The above spared me a lot of words, Matthew. Thank you.
If that was unclear: Sinewaves, I fully support what Matthew said.
Pff - that is almost as much words M. you used.  ;)

sinewaves

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
I believe the trick is to be aware of our own critical thinking, directed at ourselves and the world around us, rather than wholesome, skilful, intelligent thinking.