Author Topic: Letting go, why is its importance not in the Suttas ?  (Read 1092 times)

J0rrit

• Write something about yourself here
    • -
Letting go, why is its importance not in the Suttas ?
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
Hello there,

The Anapanasati Sutta: it states that you have to calm body and mind when breathing and so on. But why is (I think the most imported thing) letting go not mentioned in this Sutta. Because this is what needs to happen in order to get into the deep Jhanas: the mind has to let go of everything. Calming body and mind eventually leads to this letting to of the mind.

This would mean also letting go of the relaxing/calming of body and mind, in my opinion this relaxing/calming is just a tool to get the mind to letting go of everything. Is this true ?

Ajahn Brahm is one of the teachers who really emphasizes this.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Letting go, why is its importance not in the Suttas ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
Letting go is mentioned all over the place in the Anapanasati Sutta, just not using those exact words - some examples:

He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming mental fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming mental fabrication.'

He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.' [16] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'

"Calming", "cessation", "relinquishment" - all of these inherently involve letting go!

Definition:
relinquish
rɪˈlɪŋkwɪʃ/
verb
voluntarily cease to keep or claim; give up.
"he relinquished his managerial role to become chief executive"
synonyms:   renounce, give up, part with, give away;

Definition:
cessation
sɛˈseɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
the fact or process of ending or being brought to an end.
"the cessation of hostilities"
synonyms:   end, ending, termination, stopping, halting, ceasing, finish, finishing, stoppage, closing, closure, close, conclusion, winding up, discontinuation, discontinuance, breaking off, abandonment, interruption, suspension, cutting short
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:06:43 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~