Author Topic: strange "dip" I get from time to time  (Read 1148 times)

JaRoD

• Write something about yourself here
    • Focus on breath and labeling
strange "dip" I get from time to time
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
I have something that I've been wondering about for the past maybe 10 years. At times when my mind is very silent and I'm not really doing anything special I get this sort of "dip" when I move my eyes. Or atleast that's about the best I've been able to describe it to myself. I have tinnitus and that's mostly how I notice it, the beeping goes away from a split second but comes back. And from my days of lucid dreaming I also used to get that same "dip" right at the point I fell asleep and/or maybe lost all contact with my external senses.

And when I have a high fever it happens almost all the time when moving my eyes. I think that "dip" might also be sort of like a momentary falling sensation and I do get a faint sense of it in more than one part of my body when it happens nowadays. I remember when I was lucid dreaming I used to think of it more like a "click" or "switching" happening in my head but during that time I was mostly focused on things going on in my head.

Thanks in advance  :)

Masauwu

• chipping away
Re: strange "dip" I get from time to time
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »
Hi JaRoD,

This is very intriguing. What happens during the "dip" (according to your 6 sense doors) and what is your specific practice prior to it?
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
Hi JaRoD,

This also intrigues me. There are some things I have noted relating to eyes that don't seem well documented:

Movement of the head or body is lead by the eyes: if turning left naturally the eyes lead, the head follows, the neck follows the head and the shoulders follow the neck, etc. If this pattern is disturbed and the eyes not moving naturally it may lead to abnormalities in the neck which can lead to ... tinnitus, and other things.

Is the dip you describe related to a full relaxation of the eye muscles?

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

JaRoD

• Write something about yourself here
    • Focus on breath and labeling
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
Turns out I have a low grade fever now and probably also had it yesterday so I now get it every quite often. My practice is either counting my breath or labeling my senses, as in sight, sound, touch and so on. And generally do whichever one works best at any given time. And many 10 years ago when I was lucid dreaming I didn't really have a practice per se but every time I went to sleep I used to be able to put all my focus on what I saw and keep it there fairly well and that's when I started noticing this. But back then I was in school so I was always either focusing on the teacher or reading books.

Nowadays I don't have a very deep focus but it's fairly wide. What I can say right now is that it begins when my eyes start the jump from one spot to the next, it goes away when the eye stops moving. If I keep my eyes still nothing happens. I'm not very clear today though so can't say much more about it. And only notice is because of the change that happens in my tinnitus. I have a few days off work now so I'll see if I can get any more clarity.

Oh and my tinnitus is from listening to music too loudly when young... ah the stupidity of youth