Author Topic: How Do I Observe Without Visualizing It?  (Read 1758 times)

JaydenKong

• Stay Strong & Stay Positive. SMILE MORE :)
How Do I Observe Without Visualizing It?
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
On the discourse I heard that you can't visualize or imagine while observing the sensation on the parts of your body. But somehow no matter how hard I tried not to visualize my hands, leg, chest ect. I still imagine the parts of my body even when I am having thoughts. I've also asked the teacher about this problem and he told me to open my eyes while practicing vipassana but it still the same, the back my mind somehow will have the image hands and legs etc. I am tired of trying and now I just go with it without stressing my mind. Is that ok?

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: How Do I Observe Without Visualizing It?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
It's good that you are aware of this habit.  Just notice how much you rely on making a picture of your experience in your mind rather than experiencing the experience directly, this is totally unnecessary and where things get distorted.

It takes time to fully let go of this habit, but no need to fight it just keep coming back to the direct experience of sensation over and over again, over time the habit of visualising will weaken.

betty

• Combo of Adyashanti and Shinzen Youngs teachings
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »
Great advice above. :0) 

In my experience the saying "what you resist persists" really does happen.  If we judge or resist behaviour, we tend to reinforce it.  If we simply observe and then bring our focus back to sensation as suggested above, eventually our unconscious mind realises there is no need to do anything other than be with what is already there.  The more we try to stop a habit like that, the more entrenched it becomes.  Just see it and bring awareness back over and over again, and if there is also annoyance or judgment on seeing that it is happening again, observe that too.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
Don't think about a green elephant.

And now you are .....
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~