Author Topic: Goenka course questions  (Read 2953 times)

Jack

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Goenka course questions
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi,

First of all (I’m new here) - congratulations!

The forum is a great initiative and I am amazed by the way people can discuss with (sometimes) different points of view on such a subtle topic.

Even though I have some meditation/yoga experience behind I’ve decided (came back last week :)) to undertake  10-day course organised due to the Goenka method.

As I consider the technique a great „tool” I do have some concerns (already mentioned in many previous posts).

Here are my (SNG course) questions/doubts, though:

1. I’m not into healing methods at all but does anyone know why people with such background are allowed to take only one Goenka course?

2. What is the purpose of short meditation with the assistant teacher in 5-6 persons groups in the afternoons?

3. Along with the practice most of the gros, unpleasant sensations are being dissoved. Is that correct? Would that mean that having free flow
is an "exercise" to stay equanimous in front of physically pleasurable sensations throughout the body which represent(?) our desires?   

4. Is scanning the body during everyday life an exercise/awareness/quasi-meditation?

I suppose questions no 3 & 4 might sound pretty naive but I would appreciate the answer(s).

Once again - thank you,
Jack

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
Re: Goenka course questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:31 AM »
Hello Jack,

I wanted to say thank you for showing your vulnerability in asking 'naive' questions. At least you have the courage to post, where as I tend to chicken out. It makes me feel a little less alienated. :) I also wanted to add one more question regarding Goenka Retreat's.

5. I'm currently signed up for a 10-day retreat in June. After hearing several horror stories about the retreats, I'm a little concerned about following the method while I'm there. Unfortunately, there is no other form of retreat close to my area. So I was curious if I could practice my own method of anapana and vipassana secretly. Would they have any way of knowing? Could this still be harmful? Any and all advice would be great.

I'm sorry Jack if you feel like I've hijacked your thread. Feel free to let me know. :)
Thanks
Regards,
Tobin

deepnigam

• still finding equanimity and tranquality
    • s.n.goenka
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:54:50 AM »
i think you join the retreat, all your questions will be subsided with the evening discourse.

Delma54

• Disappearing
    • Glad the Buddha got enlightened
    • Happily improving the experience
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »
Hi Jack
Gautama the Buddha taught over 40 different techniques for practicing meditation. Calm & Insight are the main stream. While Calm will give you concentration, insight will take you to the final goal. The two will go together supporting each other.
SNG 10 day’s course. During the first 4 days we sort of practice Calm to sharp the mind. The other six days we practice insight. Thereafter, you are your own Master.
From the beginning. The sensations in the body are your object of meditation. What keep your mind in the momentary Present. Don’t make too much out of them.
If we see the big picture. Sensations are only the tool, regardless of how you experience them scanning the body. As we progress, sensations will be subtler and we will start to experience furthermore truths along the Path.
If we first mastered Calm Meditation, Vipassana and final goal will be mastered sooner.
Metta
Delma

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
. I’m not into healing methods at all but does anyone know why people with such background are allowed to take only one Goenka course?

Healing techniques like reiki have their foundation on altering the reality to produce different sensations which is completely opposite to the concept of vipassana. so only one of them can be practiced.

What is the purpose of short meditation with the assistant teacher in 5-6 persons groups in the afternoons?

The teacher does metta meditation during this short meditation which would help the practitioner.

Along with the practice most of the gros, unpleasant sensations are being dissoved. Is that correct? Would that mean that having free flow
is an "exercise" to stay equanimous in front of physically pleasurable sensations throughout the body which represent(?) our desires?   

No.
There are moments in vipassana when all the gross sensations get dissolved and whole body is filled with pleasant vibrations. That is called free flow.

Is scanning the body during everyday life an exercise/awareness/quasi-meditation?
Scanning is not necessary during everyday life. Just being aware of sensations(whatever are present in the awareness of that moment) and being equanimus to them is enough. It is an exercise to bring the merits learnt during sitting meditation to daily life.

I'm currently signed up for a 10-day retreat in June. After hearing several horror stories about the retreats, I'm a little concerned about following the method while I'm there.
If one is strong enough to face any of the past bad karma one has performed then there is nothing really to worry about.

So I was curious if I could practice my own method of anapana and vipassana secretly. Would they have any way of knowing? Could this still be harmful?
Yes, you can practice your own version of meditation if you like. They cannot know what you are doing as there is no mind reading going on. It is not harmful but i would advice giving the technique full justice on the first course, understand it fully. Then from second or third course you can do your own changes to it if it is needed.