Author Topic: Meditating Without a Timer?  (Read 5216 times)

Cani

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassna as taught by S.N. Goenka
Meditating Without a Timer?
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Has anybody experimented with this?  This is how the Buddha must've done it, unless he crudley measured the position of the sun.  I imagine it makes one more aware of how they feel and more self disciplined to know when you are ready to end the meditation, and not just trying to escape the boredom/pain.

jenjaminbackson

• Thai Forest / Tibetan
Re: Meditating Without a Timer?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »
Personally I light an incense stick and try not to pay too much attention to it. If it burns out I know its been around 30 mins. I noticed that I usually get up before its burnt out and the time varies, I just end my sitting when I feel the time is right. Paying less attention to a timer helps me in the sense that I don't feel I'm trying to accomplish anything. I'm just being int he moment. In fact in this mindset I have found that I can sit for longer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:39:19 PM by jenjaminbackson »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
I usually use a timer because I've other commitments to be mindful of. I think time is important in a sense as it will make you persevere through sittings you're less comfortable in and also cut off pleasurable sittings one may get attached to.

Seph

• Jung-Joong-Dong of Jungshin Sooyang ("Silence in Stillness, Stillness in Motion")
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
I use my mp3 player. I have a few files with music set to specific times. (Usually around 30 minutes).
Like Dharmic Tui said, I to have other commitments to be mindful of and I don't want that as a distraction.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:40:20 AM »
Theres a good app called "Insight Timer" I use on my android phone, allows you to set whatever time you want.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
There's a good built-in app on my Android phone called "clock" .. Also allows any timer length to be set :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:33:11 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Seph

• Jung-Joong-Dong of Jungshin Sooyang ("Silence in Stillness, Stillness in Motion")
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »
(I work as a printer in Ottawa) and we do a job for the Ottawa Mindfulness Centre.
(It's a set of 3 cd's).
One track is entitled "Bells".
It is a 45 minute long track of mostly silence. It begins with a bell (or low gong), followed by 45 minutes of silence, and ends with the same bell or gong.

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
It is a 45 minute long track of mostly silence. It begins with a bell (or low gong), followed by 45 minutes of silence, and ends with the same bell or gong.

Several timers of this variety and of differing length are available to download from the forum here:

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,812.msg6775.html#msg6775
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

J0rrit

• -
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »
There are also a lot of free apps for Iphone (and I also think for Android as well). Just search for meditation timer on your phone. When meditating, put your phone on 'don't disturb' mode, so there are no sounds and 'shaking' when messaged.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
There's a good built-in app on my Android phone called "clock" .. Also allows any timer length to be set :D
Har de har smartypants. This one disables the phone. Also allows you to make notes after a sitting if you want.

Matthew

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Har de har smartypants. This one disables the phone. Also allows you to make notes after a sitting if you want.

Didn't doubt it had some added functionality DT, couldn't resist the joke.

sariputra

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
Has anybody experimented with this?  This is how the Buddha must've done it, unless he crudley measured the position of the sun.  I imagine it makes one more aware of how they feel and more self disciplined to know when you are ready to end the meditation, and not just trying to escape the boredom/pain.
You know this is so true...how back in Buddha's time did they do it? I was thinking maybe that guy from Oregon who went to China (on youtube) and meeting those modern day hermits in remote areas....wonder if they use modern timers?

J0rrit

• -
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Does anyone know a Meditation timer app for Iphone/Android that automatically disables all sounds and vibrations of incoming calls etc?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
The "insight timer" app I mentioned earlier will do that. Not sure if there's an iOS version but there probably is.

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »

:D :D :D

What's with the fancy apps guys? Just put the phone on silent and set an alarm!
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
Theres probably less button presses needed for the app and you can have bells and gongs rather than whatever default alarm sound is on your phone. There's other stuff like a map showing you how many other people are currently meditating and where, as well as stats, if you're into that sort of thing.

Phaedros

• ashtanga yoga
    • Happily involved in concentrated confusion
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 05:27:03 AM »
I know it is said that we should try to meditate for atleast 30 minutes each time..I use to get really caught up in trying to make sure I got in my 30 minutes.I think that can really become a ego thing.Looking at the clock after i get up from sitting and feeling good if i got in my full 30 minutes......After awhile i got to thinking about this some..increments of time really have little to do with meditation.Now I sit until I get done sitting..I think maybe sometimes I get more did in 10 minutes then I do other times when I sit for 30..If in meditation we go beyond thoughts and concepts...then we to go beyond time...because after all...its just a concept.
Clothed in no-cloth robe
Feet clad in turtles fur boots
I seize my bow of rabbit horn
And prepare to shoot the devil ignorance.

Matthew

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »

:D :D :D

What's with the fancy apps guys? Just put the phone on silent and set an alarm!

Hi CP,

Good to see you around again. Trust and hope you are feeling well.

The "fancy App" I was referring to is the standard alarm!

Crystal Palace

• Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
The "fancy App" I was referring to is the standard alarm!

Indeed. I am on your side Matthew! I prefer low-tech Dhamma  :D :D :D

Purify your mind"

Buddha

Crystal Palace

• Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Sometimes when my mind is too excited or bored, I meditate by playing a Dhamma talk in the background. I set the volume to a medium-to-low level, in a way that allows me to listen to the contents of the talk if I am getting distracted, and ignore the contents of the talk if I am experiencing stillness. Furthermore, when the talk ends I know how much time has elapsed (the duration of the talk) and that it is time to get up.

CP
Purify your mind"

Buddha

sariputra

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »

Several timers of this variety and of differing length are available to download from the forum here:

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,812.msg6775.html#msg6775

nice this mp3....without it I would get after up after 5-10 minutes judging on average how often I look up at it to see how much time has passed and how much time is remaining...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:31:28 PM by Matthew »