Author Topic: manual book- sensations  (Read 5530 times)

Namaste86

• Write something about yourself here
    • india , igatpuri
manual book- sensations
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
so many books...could anybody recommend me one manual book about vipassana but the easiest one , just simple practise.I have problem with understanding paying attention to sensations - im still confused.Thank u a lot.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: manual book- sensations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi Namaste,

Have you started to practice or undertaken a retreat in a particular tradition that you are seeking clarification of?

Best,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
hi ,

hm , what do you mean? i have finished 10 days course in igatpuri, and i try to do the same at home. But actually i need also information why i dont feel sensations when i observe. Its over mounth since i started meditation and still the same ...is there topic about that?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
Hi Namaste,

I was asking if there is a particular school or tradition of practice you are working with or have studied. You say you have "finished 10 days course" - would I be right this was a course with Vipassana International (S.N. Goenka)?

Assuming yes this question came up recently and some texts were pointed to by members (can't find the thread, sorry).

I do not practice using the Goenka method so cannot offer advice on this. Maybe somebody else will ..

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
But actually i need also information why i dont feel sensations when i observe.

Can you please clarify this?

what do you mean by you dont feel sensations? is it that you dont feel sutler sensations like sensations of sangharas and other sensations linked with negativity of mind?

I think its impossible to not feel the very gross sensations of pain or stress or touch etc... 

After the course its common to lose the awareness of curtail sensations because the mind gets caught with other activities. It is advised to work with the anapanna for atleast a month after the first course to develop the awareness of mind.

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
anapana ? whats that?

i dont know what do u mean with sangharas ....i dont believe in theory in Vipassana ...I admire vipassana because it works thats it.
i dont feel sensations on the skin and in the body at all ...its 2 mounth since i have been practising...i started to be worried.

Do u know maybe Siddharthgode how should i scan body ? maybe i do something wrong...

sorry i answered so long after but i have just read text
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:13:51 AM by Namaste86 »

yossarian

• Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:24 AM »
anapana ? whats that?

i dont know what do u mean with sangharas ....i dont believe in theory in Vipassana ...I admire vipassana because it works thats it.
i dont feel sensations on the skin and in the body at all ...its 2 mounth since i have been practising...i started to be worried.

Do u know maybe Siddharthgode how should i scan body ? maybe i do something wrong...

sorry i answered so long after but i have just read text

Anapana is simply the method of paying attention to the breath.

When I did my 10 day course and we began Vipassana (day 3) I couldn't feel any of the 20 or so sensations Goenka described (heat, cold, tingling, etc...) so I just followed the instruction to feel what I could sense, the weight of fabric on my body, the contact of wind or air on my skin, the feeling of my hands resting on my thighs, the feeling of my legs on the mat and so on.

After a couple of days of working patiently in this way and returning to anapana (breath meditation) when my mind was wandering, I eventually became aware of more subtle sensations. I would describe them as similar to, if you've ever been anesthetized for surgery or just very relaxed yet awake, perhaps after a few drinks, you remember feeling a light sense of pleasant tingles all over your body. It's like that only, depending on your focus level, much more intense.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
@Namaste86, interesting, you say you attended the retreat in Igatpuri and you don't know what is Anapana? I am guessing you attended Goenkaji's 10-day course. If so, for the first three days you learn nothing but Anapana. Did you talk about your issue about sensations with the teacher who presided over the retreat?
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
hi ,

i dont pay attention to terminology ...

thank you for answering...

so , should i scan as small part of the body as possible? i usually do head and neck , arm, another arm , back ...tigh, another tigh and so on -should i minimize it to have better results?

i talked to teacher , i had few questions each day ...what she said was i need time ( even a year!)..but im very impatient and even meditation doesnt help actually

besides i think one year is too much
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:34:04 PM by Namaste86 »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
If you want instant results then this may not be for you.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
@Namaste86 - You're right. You're impatient for results so meditation doesn't help you.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
i think nobody  knows better what is for me than I.

during meditation im not trying forcing anything. I know how it works.

and  i have lots of benefits already ...now i need only feel sensations..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:30:29 PM by Namaste86 »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
Hello again Namaste,

The form of practice I follow is total body awareness rather than moving from part to part. Wherever sensation arises attention can be placed. It's a bit more free-form than the method taught by VRI centres. Maybe this would benefit you?

Kindly,

Matthew

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
Matthew is that form created by you?

i was trying that once and i felt more then by way i was taught on course ...

sorry for my english ...sometimes i can express precisely what i want.

deepnigam

• still finding equanimity and tranquality
    • s.n.goenka
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 06:11:53 AM »
dear Namaste86
   the question raised by you is bit obvious by attending one retreat. to my experience you go though http://www.vridhamma.org/Home and download the discourses( also available in youtube) . listen them again and again so that your concepts will be clear. further i say that if you are not well sensing the sensations that do ANAPANA and observe in and out breath. and notice how long you are aware with the breath as six senses will take you away again and again. bring back your awareness to breath. practice it first for a month and notice the awareness, in time duration, of breath. then do vipassana.

metta....

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
Matthew is that form created by you?

i was trying that once and i felt more then by way i was taught on course ...

sorry for my english ...sometimes i can express precisely what i want.

Hello Namaste,

Don't be sorry for your English, it is perfectly good for this communication.

To answer your question, no, this method was not invented by me. It was invented by a guy people call "Buddha" - unfortunately many versions of his teaching have been perverted.

It is no surprise you sense/feel more this way because you are opening mind up to the moment and all sensation and not filtering it through fabrication of where awareness "should" be pointed.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
thanks for this answers...they are very very helpful.... :)

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
i did today first session according what Matthew said.

So firstly i was focusing 10 min on my breath , then i moved attention to whole my body ( whatever comes up in counsciousness). I felt so many sensations , minute after minute ..

what should i do then? how many minutes i should observe each of it ?for excample i feel something itches for 30 second...break ....then something hurts another 1 minute and so on.
sometimes one sensation was disturbed by another .
 Then after 15 minutes i felt something i have been struggling whole my life. Boredom. I was observing it.

But i am afraid its so easy i wont learn anything. I wont get any benefits.

Any ideas ..

thank u for attention
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:23:41 PM by Namaste86 »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »
Hello Namaste,

First thing is to stick with the breath - this is more calm technique than learned on the course. Just maintain awareness on the in and out breath (not at nose, whole body), mind will wander, when it does bring it back to the breath. It takes more time but gives deeper results. When your awareness and breathing become one, when there is absorption and development of strong concentration, then is the time to move on from the breath.

Relaxed, awake, aware concentration - a focused mind - is the tool for further examination. By moving on after some minutes this was not built: it will take some days or weeks depending on hours committed.

Without this foundation of concentration and calm mind will be dragged around as if by a wild tiger.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Matthew

PS boredom is a good sign - it's easy to be mindful of exciting things but takes some effort to be mindful of something as simple as breathing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:39:21 PM by Matthew »

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
i didnt get answer for rest of my questions ...
im meditating over 2,5 months , how about sensations ?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
From you're last post it sounds as if you were overwhelmed with sensations. This is why the foundation needs to be calm concentrated mind. Does that make sense to you? It takes time.

Namaste86

• india , igatpuri
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
hmm, not really overhelmed. I started do it with calm mind after observing my breath. When i felt more sensations then usually i was suprised and then thoughts comes up. I didnt know then how long observe each of them. only sometimes one sensation was disturbed by another.i didnt write about it in correct way maybe..

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
here is what worked for me.

During daily activity, Be aware of all the sensations that are present at the moment and be equanimus to all of them. When meditating dig deeper so that more sensations appear later during the day.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
hmm, not really overhelmed. I started do it with calm mind after observing my breath. When i felt more sensations then usually i was suprised and then thoughts comes up. I didnt know then how long observe each of them. only sometimes one sensation was disturbed by another.i didnt write about it in correct way maybe..

Observing the breath and establishing concentration and absorption first will naturally allow you to dig deeper. This is not achieved in 15 minutes but only after several weeks or months of continued mindfulness of breathing. Until breath and awareness of breath become one (absorption) just note any other thought or sensation then return mindfulness to breathing, one breath at a time. It's a longer journey yet deeper and more profound. It provides the foundation of concentration and calm for mindfulness of other phenomena (sensation, thoughts, etc.) to bear true fruits.