Author Topic: Where/Which countries can I go on a Anapanasati retreat ?  (Read 1283 times)

J0rrit

• Write something about yourself here
    • -
Where/Which countries can I go on a Anapanasati retreat ?
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:43:45 AM »
Hello,

In which countries can I go on a Anapanasati retreat? (especially an Ajahn Brahm's retreat, but also just an Anapanasati-based retreat is what I am looking for). I can't find this on the internet, so therefore this question. I live in the Netherlands, so the best would be somewhere in Europe.

Could someone help me with this?

greets and metta !

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Where/Which countries can I go on a Anapanasati retreat ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
Hi J0rrit,

Brahm studied with Ajahn Chah in the forest tradition of Thailand, their international monasteries are listed here:

http://forestsangha.org/monasteries/

There are retreat opportunities with them in the UK, Italy and Switzerland. I've been to Amaravati in the UK which might be the easiest for you to attend. It's accommodation is basic but quite acceptable (more so outside the winter months when it can be chilly), they have a delightful shrine hall which makes it easy to go meditate and offer a mix of taught retreats and opportunities to visit and stay outside of a retreat structure.

If you want to go on retreat with Ajahn Brahm himself you may have to go to Asia, though he taught a retreat in Germany in 2012, currently there are only listings for teachings in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia on his website. You could try calling the monastery in Australia and ask if he'll be teaching in Europe, number is +61(0)8 9525 2420.

Kindly,

Matthew

PS Forgot to mention Brahm was booted from the Thai forest sangha in 2009 in a rather sad tale over the ordination of Bhikkunis (nuns) which he undertook outside of the sangha rules, so though these monasteries are the from the same (original)  lineage they are no longer connected with him.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:27:23 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~