Author Topic: Come share your journey  (Read 1230 times)

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
Come share your journey
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:50:21 AM »
Hello again everyone!

I'm sure many of you have already shared your experience but feel free to share again as I'd love to hear from everyone.

Let me know about your experience with meditation! What is your practice like and how has it changed? What obstacles have you faced or do you still face? What have been the biggest shifts in your mind/body/life since you've begun? Have you used mediation to deal with your own alcohol/substance abuse?

My journey with meditation is relatively fresh. I've had major depression since I was around 12 and just last year (at 27) decided to start taking anti-depressants. While they have helped, I feel like my depression is situational vs. chemical and that the practice of meditation is the right path to begin correcting my life. I wish that I had faith in a higher power to lean on and believe in, but it is safe to say that I do not. I'm hoping to gain some kind of faith through this process and become a better, happier, more compassionate human being.

As you can tell, I'm not the most elegant writer, but I hope that I can learn from your experiences and am excited to start reading! :D

Tobin
Regards,
Tobin

deepnigam

• still finding equanimity and tranquality
    • s.n.goenka
Re: Come share your journey
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:12 AM »
i am also new in this journey, but definitely will say that it works if one practice in right way. spare time and do ANAPANA as told by Buddha and after do vipassana.

Just A Simple Guy

• Bubba Hotep
    • Curiosity and Exploration
Re: Come share your journey
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
I've dabbled in meditation on and off (more off than on!) ever since I enrolled in a one year Taekwondo course back in '92. I was mostly frustrated because I never truly understood its purpose and I was trying to force an outcome. Expectations...

I've recently taken it back up on a daily basis the last several months. My goal is simply to raise awareness. That expansive space between and outside of thoughts. The observer/witness point of view.

At the same time I've been studying the teachings of Eckhart Tolle, Miguel Ruiz and Gary van Warmerdam. To me their teachings seem complimentary to mindfulness. Matter of fact they emphasize awareness in it's true sense is the foundation of being content.

I notice small positive results and my intent is to build on them. Not being as frustrated by traffic or waiting in a long line at the supermarket and the cashier calling for a price check. Not being as annoyed by others' quirks, habits and opinions. Not getting as stressed over the demands of work and deadlines.

As far as meditation or any other teaching or technique, I like this Bruce Lee quote:

'Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.'
“Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” ~ Bruce Lee