Author Topic: Delayed effects of meditation  (Read 2363 times)

Obol

• whatever works
Delayed effects of meditation
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Does anyone else find that meditation tends to have a kind of delayed effect?

Especially when I meditate with a stronger focus on the concentration aspect, it seems that later on in the day I get irritable, and then the next day mindfulness is strong. Anyone have similar experiences?

H

Re: Delayed effects of meditation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
stronger focus

Strong focus should be done with relaxed and calm mind. Its not a forceful act. Can you evaluate and see if it is satisfied.

Obol

• whatever works
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »

Can you evaluate and see if it is satisfied.

I don't quite know what you mean by this part. Could you explain a little further?

H

lifeform6

• "Information is not knowledge" - Albert Einstein
    • Goenka so far
    • Cloudy with a chance of insight
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Not over days but for my part my best ideas/insight that helps in everyday life comes within a couple of hours (maybe up to 4) after a good meditation session. Right after meditation I also get a small motivation boost for doing whatever I was lazy about before. =)

Please note that I am a beginner and don't really have enough data points to support the above conclusion   :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:39:59 PM by lifeform6 »

Lionheart

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »
Does anyone else find that meditation tends to have a kind of delayed effect?

Especially when I meditate with a stronger focus on the concentration aspect, it seems that later on in the day I get irritable, and then the next day mindfulness is strong. Anyone have similar experiences?

H

I'm not sure what you mean by "delayed effect." You become less irritable as you progress.  You are not easily moved.  You become aware of emotions as they arise without being carried away by them. That comes with practice and a healthy lifestyle. Nothing else. 

Concentration becomes stronger for longer periods as you advance.  Don't worry about fluctuations in the beginning. That's what mind does.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »
I don't quite know what you mean by this part. Could you explain a little further?

I meant to check often in meditation if the criteria of 'alert but relaxed and calm mind' is satisfied.

Obol

• whatever works
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "delayed effect."

I meant more that right after the sit, I have a very pleasant, calm and focussed state of mind. After about 4-5 hrs, I notice strong emotional reactions to things, thats what i meant by irritable, small irritations cause a surge of anger. Its probably simply that the suppression reflex has been weakened by the concentration.

I meant to check often in meditation if the criteria of 'alert but relaxed and calm mind' is satisfied.

Right, ok. I will do that more.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
Hi Obol,

I meant more that right after the sit, I have a very pleasant, calm and focussed state of mind. After about 4-5 hrs, I notice strong emotional reactions to things, thats what i meant by irritable, small irritations cause a surge of anger. Its probably simply that the suppression reflex has been weakened by the concentration.

It may be that meditation is calming your mind and allowing underlying tensions come to the surface .. perhaps what you call "the suppression reflex" refers to the faculty of mind that has previously suppressed such underlying tensions?

Right, ok. I will do that more.

That's a good call. Too forceful concentration is a quick route to nowhere but self-hypnosis.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »
I meant more that right after the sit, I have a very pleasant, calm and focussed state of mind. After about 4-5 hrs, I notice strong emotional reactions to things,

Do you mean after 4-5 hrs your mind goes back to the usual reactive state like it was before you used to practice meditation? or does it get intensified?

Its normal that the awareness goes down after few hrs after the practice in the beginning stages of meditation nothing to worry.

If it gets intensified even though you are doing everything right then may be its a good thing and you can use it to increase your equanimity towards anger...  :D