Author Topic: Metta Meditation  (Read 4954 times)

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
Metta Meditation
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
I've read old posts on Metta ad naseum, however, I can't seem to find any posts on Metta instructions. Does anyone have a link to some good instructions? Im not looking to drum up the old discussion about the merits of Metta or anything like that. Just some old fashion instructions is what Im seeking. The 20 minutes or so spent on it at the Goenka retreats doesn't seem to do it any real justice. Thanks,

Michael
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

redalert

Re: Metta Meditation
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
All the time, the old habit pattern of the mind is holding on to the pleasant and pushing away the unpleasant, when we practice metta we wish to allow these pleasant sensations to exit the body to be shared by all.

Begin in a comfortable position, you should not have any negativity in the mind, if your previous meditation left you with pain in any part of the body then change your posture so you are comfortable. If there is negativity in the mind then you are not fit to practice metta, you will radiate this negativity outwards.

Feel the sensations in the body, fill them with loving compassionate thoughts towards all living beings, begin with the room you are in, let the sensations exit the body, fill the room with love and kindness.

Next move to the entire structure you are meditating in(house or building), may all living beings in this structure share my merits.

Next increase this area to your town or village, all are my friends none are my enemies.  Let your positive energy flow to fill this space.

Next increase this area to your country, may all those share my dhamma.

Next the world and then the universe, may all beings visible or invisible, near or far, large or small, may all beings come out of their suffering and experience real peace and happiness.

In the evening I ask forgiveness from any being I may have hurt or harmed in the days events, I also pardon any being who may have hurt or harmed me in the days activities.

This is my personal metta practice, I shift it up from day to day. Some days I go throught the whole thing other days I only make it so far. What is important to me is maintaining a compassionate frame of mind and generating good will to others. Its a great way to start the day positive and in the evening apologising and forgiving others for our trivial or large mistakes helps to build tolerence towards ourselves and others.

Hope this is helpful

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:58 AM »
Thank you very much Redalert for the descriptive response!!

Does anyone else have any other instructions from other meditation traditions, schools of thought, or styles? I'm beginning to explore some non-Goenka styles and would very much appreciate any orher Metta instructions as well.
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
Try one of the audio guided meditations on this page.
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

garyblackhouse

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
I've come across different techniques of metta meditation. The Goenka teaching would say don't practice if you're angry, frustrated etc. but another mindfulness guided meditation I've tried says to not see that as a sign it's not working. I think it's important not to share this with others though, but rather to just focus on yourself when "troublesome" sensations arise during metta practice.

I really like the technique redalert posted. Interesting to see how far one is ready to spread the love.

shu

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »
Hi all,

do you think it's a problem to meditate in two different 'styles' like metta and shamatha? Or is it ok to practise ten minutes of metta meditation and afterwards some calm abiding meditation?

The reason why I'm asking is: I read that you shouldn't mix meditations.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
I find they can compliment each other well. What you want to be careful of is getting caught up in your practice thinking about what type of meditation you plan to do.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:29:54 AM by Dharmic Tui »

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
Hi all,

do you think it's a problem to meditate in two different 'styles' like metta and shamatha? Or is it ok to practise ten minutes of metta meditation and afterwards some calm abiding meditation?

One has to understand that Metta meditation is not just a mental wishing of well being of others. It is good to mentally wish it but to do it properly one has to first find pure happiness in oneself. Then the real wisdom of compassion for others arises and real metta can be practiced. 

shu

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
One has to understand that Metta meditation is not just a mental wishing of well being of others. It is good to mentally wish it but to do it properly one has to first find pure happiness in oneself. Then the real wisdom of compassion for others arises and real metta can be practiced.

I will never find pure happiness in myself.

A lot of talks and articles (for example this talk by Richard J. Davidson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRdDqXgsJ0) have led me to believe, that perhaps I can open myself at least a little bit to other people by metta meditation. Perhaps open my heart, feel a little connection. First on the cushion, then perhaps in real life.

At the moment I practise shamatha meditation. But I am insecure, so I only wanted to know, what you experienced meditators think about mixing different meditations. Perhaps I do think to much about this.

Thank you for your advice!

Transform Your Mind, Change Your Brain
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:19:06 PM by Matthew »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
Hi shu

I find they can compliment each other well.

My experience concurs with DT on this: Metta and Shamatha are quite complimentary practices. Each develops different beneficial fruits.

This is a common misunderstanding propagated by certain egoistic teachers who want you to do it their way and only their way, because only their way is the right way. You have to find out for yourself what works.

Agreed also, I'd go a bit further: you have to realise Metta will not directly aid others and nor is it intended to. Metta practice cultivates virtues in your own mind/being. By practicing wishing others happy, fruitful, pain-free and abundant life in your mind on the cushion you develop this as a mental attitude you naturally inhabit off the cushion. The practice leads to being kinder and more considerate and more understanding of others.

No, you won't: the "self" is a fiction of the imagination of the "self" - it's just a story we tell ourselves to cope with day to day life.

A lot of talks and articles ... have led me to believe, that perhaps I can open myself at least a little bit to other people by metta meditation. Perhaps open my heart, feel a little connection. First on the cushion, then perhaps in real life.

Yes, this is the way it works. You practice feeling good towards others and cultivate this as a trait of your mind. First on the cushion, then it becomes natural behaviour.

At the moment I practise shamatha meditation. But I am insecure, so I only wanted to know, what you experienced meditators think about mixing different meditations. Perhaps I do think to much about this.

Mix and match, find what works. Just make sure you don't end up shopping in the "spiritual supermarket", jumping from practice to practice. Give yourself time with each to fully realise it's potential.

And yes shu, you probably do think too much - most people who start meditating do, whereas the reality is that meditation/mindfulness is exactly NOT what you think - it's what you know/be when the thinking fades away!

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

shu

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
Thank you, Matthew.

I have been practising shamatha for three years on and off and for the last four months daily for 15 to 20 minutes. And I only recently had the first time the feeling of a deeper silence during meditation. I was aware of a part of me that stays when everything else becomes silent. It wasn't for long, but that was a good experience.

But yes, at every other time my mind is a mess and I tend to think, think, think. When you say "the self is just a story we tell us" I think I know exactly what you mean, I understand the concept, while the real meaning, the active experience of that sentence is completely out of my grasp.

I try to be patient and practise. :)

Thanks again, everybody.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 04:43:57 AM »

Pure happiness - happiness that is free from sense objects.... It arises from meditation. Keep practicing and one day you will find it.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »
The discussion continued but went "off topic" - the stuff has been moved can be read here
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:05:38 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~