Author Topic: Is meditation a state of mind?  (Read 1418 times)

dennis

• Write something about yourself here
    • none yet
Is meditation a state of mind?
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Hello.  As an abject beginner I was wondering if someone would tell me if meditation was a state of mind created by a combination of other "mind states" brought into being through guided concentration?  Is this thought far too simplistic?

denny

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Is meditation a state of mind?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »
Meditation is just an activity but through it you can alter your state of mind. I wouldn't say you combine other states of mind more than you manage to view states of mind as just that.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
Hi denny,

Meditation is the practice of right effort, mindfulness and concentration, together these form the meditative aspects of the eightfold path in Buddhism under the umbrella of concentration. Effort, mindfulness and concentration are states of mind - in fact many states of mind that will be experienced in walking the path. The conditions for meditation to arise are mind states also and so I'd agree with both your description and DT's .. but the rabbit hole is deep and in this respect your description is simplistic.

Kindly,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:20:45 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

dennis

• none yet
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
Meditation is just an activity but through it you can alter your state of mind. I wouldn't say you combine other states of mind more than you manage to view states of mind as just that.

I agree.  Being able to view the state of your mind and it's operation is essential.  My thought was successful meditation is linked to a preferred state (non-state?)of mind created volitionally through application of other states of mind.  Simple, but I like to build on thoughts like these.

denny

dennis

• none yet
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Hi denny,

Meditation is the practice of right effort, mindfulness and concentration, together these form the meditative aspects of the eightfold path in Buddhism under the umbrella of concentration. Effort, mindfulness and concentration are states of mind - in fact many states of mind that will be experienced in walking the path. The conditions for meditation to arise are mind states also and so I'd agree with both your description and DT's .. but the rabbit hole is deep and in this respect your description is simplistic.

Kindly,

Matthew

Hi Matthew.

So right effort, mindfulness and concentration being states of mind (what else do we have?) created in an individual in a manner suggested and taught by Buddha in order to generate a successful meditative experience are a part of the Path but are independent of the path and self-sustaining?  So while meditation is essential to following the Path the Path is not essential to meditation?  Would this seem like a correct statement (only as applied to meditation, not Buddhism)?

denny