Author Topic: progress ????  (Read 1941 times)

crystal skull

• Write something about yourself here
    • vipassana
progress ????
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
hi everyone ,
been practising for a few months now , today something new happened  ;)

I found myself in a familiar state of mind but I was straight into it rather than the usual 30 - 60 mins transition time
the state of mind im talking about is what I believe to be a pre-jahna state maybe  ;) :D maybe someone can elaborate on this please

physically it feels pleasant , a sort of floating with a sense of motion at times
very peacefull feeling
occasional surges of energy
the mind is fairly still but thoughts are still there
theres a sense unlimited possibilities
concentration feels strong and sharp

my practise usualy consists of 5 mins metta meditation followed by 20mins to an hour of vipassana

during the metta this morning I could feel this sensation creeping in and as soon as I started concentrating on the breath I felt a sudden change in consciousness and the sensation I described above

ok I know what you are gonna say  ;) just observe all of this , the impermanence , the unsatisfactoriness  and with no relation to self

but this does feel like some sort of progress , even though I should not be thinking of it like this  :D

anyway thought I'd share my experience and hopefully prevoke some discussion

:)

Re: progress ????
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
only you can know if its a progress or not.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
It sounds beautiful, yes.
The reason why we - or at least I - usually do not say to someone that their experience is good, is that  such a comment can easily become a hindrance. An other time, something else happens.
And also: One can mislead oneself, or be mislead. It is possible to experience things that in fact are more a fantasy than a real/valuable experience, and it is hard to tell the difference. If someone is encouraged to have "beautiful experiences", than that might work out as an encouragement to walk around in fantasy land.
Talking about fantasies: I hope that you are aware, that there are no ancient Mayan or Peruvian (or other) crystal skulls.  :o Of course you do exist, and the name is OK. But that is all.  :)
In this kind of meditation, one does not go into the experience as if it were a trip. One simply allows it to be.
I hope I do not sound rude.

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:58:08 AM »
Hi crystal skull. Your own warnings summed up a lot of what I was going to say, but I'll add a bit more.

Be careful with these pleasant sensations. They are ephemeral to say the least, and when you do not experience them you will have aversion towards non pleasant sensations. Countless people sign up for this forum and talk about wonderful transcendent experiences when they first begin the practice. These people always disappear in a month, presumably because they are not having these wonderful sensations anymore. Sorry to be blunt but it's just a fact. Instead of thinking progress is attaining jhanas you could think of or measure progress in how equanimous you are to all sensations you experience. This is the middle-way.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:43:54 AM by Mpgkona »
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Pacific Flow

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
It always amazes me again how in my own practice after periods of great equanimity and very deep awareness there again comes a period when things become really difficult.
I think one has to be aware this will happen again and again when progressing on the path. It doesn't mean regress.
So my advice also is, be aware those pleasant experiences are also just temporary. The really important thing is to keep digging and develop awareness and equanimity.
Don't let it discourage you (note to self as well :p)

With metta
Mogo

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »

... this does feel like some sort of progress , even though I should not be thinking of it like this  :D

better not think about it at all. it is. enjoy & observe.

ok I know what you are gonna say  ;) just observe all of this ...

well ... ;)
anicca

ommanipadmehum

• Suffering, Origin, Cessation, Path
    • Theravada
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Do not crave any specific sensation or state.  Remember each time will be different - that is the only thing you can expect.  If you crave a state to appear again, suffering will follow.  Seek out a teacher near you.
"A little bit of insight brings a little bit of calm, and a little bit of calm brings a little bit of insight."
 --Ayya Khema