Author Topic: Restarting your practice after 2 years of inactivity  (Read 1632 times)

Joep

• Write something about yourself here
    • As taught by S.N. Goenka
Restarting your practice after 2 years of inactivity
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:06:32 AM »
Goodmorning to you all,

About two years ago I first came into contact with Vipassana during a 10-day course (as taught by S.N. Goenka). Even though I realised that continued practice would have a major impact on my life, I did not fully commit myself to meditation.

Countless months have passed without meditation. However, when I experience strong feelings (anger, contempt, fear,...) I am aware that through regular meditation I would be better able to handle these feelings.

For that reason I'm very eager to pick up the practice again, because I truly want to incorporate it in my daily life. Because I haven't meditated for such a long time, I am wondering whether I should take another 10 day course before starting over?

I suspect that my mind has become too agitated to calm it down during a one hour sit every morning/evening.
Perhaps taking a long course is necessary to pick up the practice, and prepare your mind for a daily routine.
Otherwise, since I already have learned the technique, I could try to build it up again from 'scratch' all by myself.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Joep

Pacific Flow

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka Vipassana
Re: Restarting your practice after 2 years of inactivity
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Hi Joep,

Sounds very familiar to me. It went pretty much the same way with my meditation practice. After my initial phase in my early 20s, with 3x10 days Goenka Vipassana retreats, i lost the practice for a long time. After more than 10 years i was in doubt wether i would be ready for another 10 day retreat. I did it without any preparation whatsoever. And surprisingly for me, it worked out wonderfully. It was a very fruitful retreat, and i was able to keep up the practice afterwards for more than a year now.
If you have the will and the time, certainly preparing with keeping a good Sila and some Anapana at home won't hurt. But if you can't, my advise is just go for the retreat.

With Metta
Mogo
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:24:22 AM by Pacific Flow »

Delma54

• Disappearing
    • Glad the Buddha got enlightened
    • Happily improving the experience
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:54:18 AM »
Well come back.
The recommended standards are 1 hour in the morning & 1 hour in the evening plus one 10 days course per year. Start building toward this standard... may be 1/2 an hour a day in the beginning & soon will find you need longer periods...
Thank you for remind me. I stopped meditating for 20 years & now i am back.
Paco

redalert

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:36:05 PM »
If you have the will and the time, certainly preparing with keeping a good Sila and some Anapana at home won't hurt. But if you can't, my advise is just go for the retreat.

I agree Pacific.

Just like to add Dhamma service if you are not ready for a retreat. You can sign up for a few days or for a full course, you only have to sit the three one hour sits and you are not required to sit in strong determination. At your centres website there is usually a section with group sittings and where they are located, perhaps one is close to your home and you can sit with the group for one sitting per week. There are also 3 day and 1 day retreats available to old students, these are great to fill up the tank.