Author Topic: Transitioning from mantra meditation to vipassana.  (Read 2278 times)

dhammadude432

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Transitioning from mantra meditation to vipassana.
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
Has any one here transitioned between mantra meditation and vipassana? My first exposure to meditation was vipassana, and i liked it very much, but then i drifted away from my practice and experimented with psychedelics and had an amazing experience which transcended explanation even after the catalyst wore off i was still experiencing higher dimensional beings and realities, but it went away and i became unnaturally depressed for 6 months, but then i was cured by DMT. Having been cured of depression i decided to get into a meditation practice, but i couldn't get back into vipassana because i was so out of practice. so i started chanting mantras (mostly hare krishna) and it really helped me a lot. i did that for about a year, then i went to a 10 day course (in october) with my girlfriend, and now we are practicing vipassana every day. I've noticed, that when i chant hare krishna or om namah shiva ya. my body feels awesome. but i still want to stick to vipassana because i think it's superior for expanding my awareness and equanimity, so i only chant hare krishna only when i'm having trouble maintaining equanimity. I recall a story of the woman who was afraid she was miss her bhakti. So what happened after she spoke to goenka? did she continue to meditate one hour in the morning and evening, and continue bhakti yoga on the side? i know that using multiple techniques is dangerous which is why i'm only saving the mantra as a back up. but does any one else have this experience?

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
Re: Transitioning from mantra meditation to vipassana.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »
You probably miss the tranquility of mind you get from mantra meditation, because that's a form of concentration practice. Vipassana meditation is 'dry insight' practice, you observe the mind directly without deep tranquility. You might want to check out the breath meditation guide from the front page. I think it's more compatible with most vipassana techniques than mantra meditation, but it has the same calming effect.

Re: Transitioning from mantra meditation to vipassana.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
better stop vipassana for time being and shift from mantra meditation to anapana or samatha to calm the mind n free it from thought attachment...